3/24 youth fishing day rules

ditto

You'll see a warden (WCO) if you do some ice fishing...not many places for them to be this time of year.

I don't ice fish my uncle does gives me the crappie and perch fillets lol

Hook_Jaw wrote:

Panfish are the ONLY fish I keep. I only keep them while ice fishing. Nothing tastes better then panfish through the ice! Its like eating candy!

Based on the number of young angler's participating and on the year-to-year growth rate of that number, MYD is the most successful individual program that the PFBC has ever had to get young people fishing. It is here to stay.

bigjohn58 wrote:
Hook_Jaw wrote:

Panfish are the ONLY fish I keep. I only keep them while ice fishing. Nothing tastes better then panfish through the ice! Its like eating candy!

I'll second that. I haven't gone ice fishing in years, and I am getting the urge to change that.

And by the way, if there are any fights break out over youth fishing regulations... I get the winner. ;-)

Mike wrote:
Based on the number of young angler's participating and on the year-to-year growth rate of that number, MYD is the most successful individual program that the PFBC has ever had to get young people fishing. It is here to stay.

It's a great program!

Yeah, you'll always have adults using it as an excuse for them to fish, but all-in-all it's mostly about the kids. It's a great idea to give them the first chance to catch some of the stocked fish before the regular opening day begins.

When I was a kid, the opening day of trout was right on par with Christmas morning. I literally used to count the days on the calendar. Take a kid fishing, if you can.

afishinado wrote:
Mike wrote:

It's a great program!

Yeah, you'll always have adults using it as an excuse for them to fish, but all-in-all it's mostly about the kids. It's a great idea to give them the first chance to catch some of the stocked fish before the regular opening day begins.

When I was a kid, the opening day of trout was right on par with Christmas morning. I literally used to count the days on the calendar. Take a kid fishing, if you can.

Have the season openers been posted yet ?
Never mind I answered my own question.

http://www.fishandboat.com/Fish/PennsylvaniaFishes/Trout/Pages/TroutSeasonOverview.aspx

Fredrick wrote:

http://www.fishandboat.com/Fish/PennsylvaniaFishes/Trout/Pages/TroutSeasonOverview.aspx

Yeah Fred.....you should take your little guy....and don't you crowd him out and cast over his line!!!! :lol:

smm717 wrote:
Bigjohn58. Do you chase stock trucks?

My son was 15yrs old. Sorry I floated some muddler minnows in between baiting his hook and netting his fish. It was a day we could enjoy the water together.

Keep chasing that stock truck. Maybe they will let ya throw a bucket in the hole your fishing.

Your son was 15 and you were baiting his hook?

I was always lucky and my father took me to the Crossforks section of Kettle Creek when I was 12 and under. When I turned 13 I was on my own and had to fish above or below it until my brother was too old to fish there. There should be a few more sections like that around the state. I think Spring Creek in town Bellefonte between the 2 bridges in town should be a kids area.

afishinado wrote:
Fredrick wrote:

Yeah Fred.....you should take your little guy....and don't you crowd him out and cast over his line!!!! :lol:

If I did that my son would take me down and put me in a wrestling hold until I cried for my mommy .

Thanks for the heads up to check the stocking schedule ...... Turns out that the Creek near me isn't stocked until afterward so I'll wait and take the kids for Bluegill later come summer.

thanks for the heads up to check the stocking schedule ...... Turns out that the Creek near me isn't stocked until afterward so I'll wait and take the kids for Bluegill later come summer.

Why wait? Tons of stocked streams in the SE there great for kids!

Anybody who thinks the program was started for kids to fish as their parents dug worms is so out of touch with reality. It's for kids to go fishing with an adult. Fishing is not one person fishing and the other observing. My father took me fishing all the time and he was not there to simply bait my hook.

Probably the biggest reason I fish today is because I enjoyed fishing WITH my dad. The number of fish I caught under his supervision did not matter in the least. Believe me there were plenty of fishless days because we also skipped rocks and caught other things like snakes, frogs, turtles, etc...

If the rule clearly states the adult can fish then fish away with the kids. That's what it's about. the elitists should just stay home if the sight of fathers and children fishing side by side is offensive to them.

I can't speak to the youth mentored fishing day but I can say with 100% assurance that the reason I have fished for 68 years is only because my Dad and I went fishing for little sunnies with a metal rod, a cheap bait casting reel, black linen line, snelled hooks, and dough balls. We kept a bunch in a white enameled pail until the end of the evening and then we released them back into the lake.

We fished together for forty-five years in northern NJ streams, the Catskills and many rivers in Montana.

It's confirmed: poopdeck harvests every stocked trout in the state on youth fishing day.

I guess everyone should stay home on the opener.

My father had no issue sitting back and mentoring my brother and me. I can remember my father helping me throw wet flies at the lower end of the Cross Forks section of Kettle. Helping me get my rod stroke down. He enjoyed sitting back and watching us and didn't feel the need to be fishing. I guess times have changed.

poopdeck wrote:
Anybody who thinks the program was started for kids to fish as their parents dug worms is so out of touch with reality. It's for kids to go fishing with an adult. Fishing is not one person fishing and the other observing. My father took me fishing all the time and he was not there to simply bait my hook.

Probably the biggest reason I fish today is because I enjoyed fishing WITH my dad. The number of fish I caught under his supervision did not matter in the least. Believe me there were plenty of fishless days because we also skipped rocks and caught other things like snakes, frogs, turtles, etc...

If the rule clearly states the adult can fish then fish away with the kids. That's what it's about. the elitists should just stay home if the sight of fathers and children fishing side by side is offensive to them.

No one is against youth and adults fishing side by side; at least I did not gather that from the majority of the sentiment here. The only thing I'm against is adults fishing, while having the token child under 12 present, only to meet the letter of the day.

FWIW, I saw no one fishing last year when I took my kids out. I saw one landowner, that initially thought the season started a week later and did look at us a bit quizzically when we were walking in . She was correct, but was unaware that a Youth Mentored Day existed, and thought it was a good idea when I explained it to her.

Why would you need a program for a kid to fish with an adult? They can do that anytime, anywhere. The program is to get more kids involved in fishing and to give the kids an advantage because they can fish before the season opens.

Any adult fishing during MYD is not a real fisherman and should be embarrassed. An adult that gets so excited at the prospects of catching stocked trout, and lacks self control to the point he cannot contain himself and needs to fish instead of sitting back and watching a kid fish is not a good sportsman, conservationist, or mentor.

Back