2wt and 3wt rods

shademt

shademt

i am kicking around the idea of building a 2 or 3 wt rod 6'6"..for small stream fishing. Many of the streams i fish are less than 20' wide. A 30' cast would be a long one. Also a fish larger than 14" is very unusual. I'd like some input on the lightweights. Currently i own nothing under a 4wt.

Last summer I purchased a sage txl-f 3wt 6'10" 4 piece rod with the sage click 3 reel, and the safe double taper line. It is a perfect set-up for me. I use it on the smaller mountain streams in Central PA and the Adirondacks in NY. Great for 5 to 10 inch native brookies, but also good for the 12 inch stockies. Let me know if you have any questions.

You might want to consider a modern glass rod. I use a glass 3 wt. for this fishing. Glass excels at short, light line rods. Check this thread for some more info.

I bought one of Sandflys 2wt 6'6 and it was probably the best purchase. Its harder to cast distance and larger flies, but it is a 2 wt... I absolutely love fishing Valley and small mtn streams with it. If your fishing smaller streams and brookes a little 2 wt in my opinion is a must. I hardly ever find a pool or such that i cant find a way to get a cast in.

Light line small rods are a hoot to fish. Actually feel the fight of a small fish.

You might want to consider a modern glass rod. I use a glass 3 wt. for this fishing. Glass excels at short, light line rods. Check this thread for some more info
Yes. I don't know nothing from nothing .... but there's a difference between a very light line weight tippy rod and a light line weight rod with a soft or moderate action.

Obviously personal preference is the key factor but some people haven't tried a slower action rod because most big name companies don't market them and they are not the latest and greatest advertised item.

And other people may think bamboo or glass is too physically heavy to be nice, but that's just not the case especially in a smaller rod.

To each their own and so be it ...... but don't let the "Madison Avenue effect" have undue play.

i actually considered a light glass rod...but as i mentioned i'd like to build it myself. Giving me the option of choosing my handle, reel seat ect...i'm having a hard time finding glass blanks though

I had a 2/3wt built on a Sevier Tiger Eye blank and I really like it. The fact that the blank only costs $17 makes it that much nicer.

I built a 6ft. 2/3 sevier tiger eye. Its fast action with a 2wt dt line. I fished it alot on the local brooky streams and a steal fot the $. I also wrapped up a 2wt bastson rx6 6.5 ft 2wt is a good blank also a bit soft but what split hairs. The dun coloored thread look very nice on the batson.

i actually considered a light glass rod...but as i mentioned i'd like to build it myself. Giving me the option of choosing my handle, reel seat ect...i'm having a hard time finding glass blanks though
Here's a few ... there are others as well....

http://www.steffenbrothersflyrods.com/

http://fiberglass-fly-rods.pbworks.com/w/page/5182988/Kettle%20Creek%20Rods

http://www.lamiglas.com/blank_indiv.php?groupid=30

http://www.southforkrodcompany.com/sf_glass_rods.html

I'm not trying to say whats right for everyone cause everyone has their own preferences, so be it. But there are really nice glass (& bamboo) rods out there. The Eglass or Sglass rods with the newer resins are better and lighter than the ones mass produced 40 years ago.

Here's a (biased - haha) 3 part article that has some information.

http://troutunderground.com/2008/01/casting-glass-the-undergrounds-wholly-biased-take-on-the-modern-fiberglass-fly-rod/

ok thats some good info..
and thanks for the PM as well.... Now for a little input on the tech aspect between glass and graphite.
I am looking to build a very specialized rod. Typically small streams, overhanging branches. fished very often from a kneeling position. Typically no more than 10' of line out. (not counting leader)..but sometimes even less line. And the occasional longer cast if theres room. So a rod with the ability to throw a decent tight loop. Roll cast..often under branches, sidearm cast ect.. Any real advantages of one over the other..i currently own a 7' 4wt..not a bad rod for small streams. ...But i am looking for... 'THE" absolute best small stream rod. There are many times on a small brushy stream that requires a perfect cast..under overhanging branches, tight loop through an opening ect...one shot and only one shot..you miss and your hung up. .putting the trout down till another day. ...So looking for "THE" rod.

Build a Rainshadow 6'6" 2 wt. The Kit for everything is like $75.

I've built 4 of them and everyone I sold to is completely satisfied.

The last thing you want is to take expesive rods and reels into the woods. It's just going to get ding, dented and dropped.

Always the option of a 2wt graphite overloaded with 3wt line..if it makes a diffrence

I love my 2/3 wt, it is great for dries and small nymphs, I can cast it well with a little line out or a lot out. it is a bit lacking for some of the bunny leeches and crayfish i like to use though.

If I were doing it over, i would probably go with Sevier's 6'-0" 4/5. i think it would have the perfect backbone for the larger flies.

shademt wrote:
Always the option of a 2wt graphite overloaded with 3wt line..if it makes a diffrence

That's exactly what I use, in a 7'9" length. And it's great for me - although I only fish drys.
I use it on small - and mid size streams like spring and fishing creeks - with no problems

Check out the Sage TXL-F series rods. They are awesome. I would also recommend that no matter what rod you are using for this type of fishing that you practice casting a lot.

practice is a good thing..i used to practice placing my fly in a coffee can out in the yard...Although i must admit after 30+ years of fly fishing..i rarely do anymore..unless its just to try out a new rod. Being able to place your fly with precision is one thing. But being able to do it with precision when there are hemlock branches hanging 2' off the water is quite another thing.

if you are looking to build I recommend Batson or Pac-Bay blanks, they cast very nice..

shademt wrote:

ok thats some good info..
and thanks for the PM as well.... Now for a little input on the tech aspect between glass and graphite.
I am looking to build a very specialized rod. Typically small streams, overhanging branches. fished very often from a kneeling position. Typically no more than 10' of line out. (not counting leader)..but sometimes even less line. And the occasional longer cast if theres room. So a rod with the ability to throw a decent tight loop. Roll cast..often under branches, sidearm cast ect.. Any real advantages of one over the other..i currently own a 7' 4wt..not a bad rod for small streams. ...But i am looking for... 'THE" absolute best small stream rod. There are many times on a small brushy stream that requires a perfect cast..under overhanging branches, tight loop through an opening ect...one shot and only one shot..you miss and your hung up. .putting the trout down till another day. ...So looking for "THE" rod.

Can't recommend a specific rod, but try fast action 4wt with a 5 wt line, maybe 7' - 7.5' long.

I've had a orvis 3wt for many year(my favorite rod). I'm not the best caster that ever lived but I have no problem casting some of the bigger flies, the same with landing fish, not a problem, love fishing terrestrials with it.

PaulG

Back