28 lb RT

FarmerDave

FarmerDave

link

Based on the freakish shape, this one has to be triploid even though no fin clip.

That think is a freak.

Look at the girth on that fella! Also, that's a pretty big fish in the photo.

Glad to see he didn't hold it by it's lip.

What do you think is the explanation/source of this fish?

My guess is that it's a brood fish from the Dworshak Hatchery.

Dwight.

My guess it it originated in a laboratory somewhere.

Seriously. I did already provide a possible explanation (what I think). As I said, it looks like a triploid, and Idaho does (or at least did 7 years ago) stock a fair amount of triploid rainbow trout.

Awhile back there was a discussion on whether triploid should be counted as normal rainbow trout in the record books. I believe currently they are.

No idea if triploid can occur naturally. I don't know enough about it. But that fish does sport the characteristics.

I think normally the adipose fin is clipped because the purpose is for put and take. Stocking these sterile fish helps avoid polluting the natural gene pool.

I was surprised to read that the adipose fin was intact, but there is no way to prove all are clipped.

Maybe a duck carried it there. :lol:

That's a Tun-out -- Tuna-trout hybrid.

http://internationalfishingnews.blogspot.com/2013/08/usa-28-lb-9-oz-rainbow-trout-caught-in.html?m=1

Same weight RT caught 2 summers ago in the same area

greenghost wrote:
That's a Tun-out -- Tuna-trout hybrid.

I was thinking rainblow. Rainbow trout crossed with a blowfish?

I'm curious but if you look at the two links they look like different fish.

not only the spots are different but the anal fins on both are significantly different.

Wouldn't there be more of an "indentation" in the fish where that guy's hand is?

That fish didn't come from a hatchery

it came from a McDonald's drive through.

Back