2018 New Year's Resolutions

Wild_Trouter

Wild_Trouter

I know it's a few days early, but what is everyone doing differently in 2018? Mine is to spend more time exploring NC PA, Western NY, Western MD along with more trips to the Shenandoah Valley in VA. Life is short so Im ramping up efforts for the ever elusive 13" wild brookie and to get into more wild rainbows.

I’ve got two:

- Get a shad on a fly rod. I thought I had one this year, but, when I landed it, it was just the biggest Delaware River chub I’ve ever caught.

- Start saltwater fishing over in Jersey

Wild_Trouter wrote:
I know it's a few days early, but what is everyone doing differently in 2018? Mine is to spend more time exploring NC PA, Western NY, Western MD along with more trips to the Shenandoah Valley in VA. Life is short so Im ramping up efforts for the ever elusive 13" wild brookie and to get into more wild rainbows.

There are no fish in Western MD ;-)

- Get a shad on a fly rod. I thought I had one this year, but, when I landed it, it was just the biggest Delaware River chub I’ve ever caught.

That had to be a BIG chub!

I went for shad on the big D for my first time last year and it was a ton of fun. I ended up landing 5 on my first outing. Shad on the fly will be something I do every year from now on - good luck to you come spring.

I've got a few goals for 2018:

- Catch some Esox - pickerel, pike, and try to get my first muskie

- Get out on my kayak again and do some floats (it's been 2 years)

- Do some smallie fishing on the susky

- Switch things up every weekend. It's easy to fish trout week after week, therefore falling into familiar techniques in similar locations. Basically, make it a point to break out of the comfort zone - you learn so much more that way.

HMMMM..............

1) Catch a double digit snakehead or bowfin on the fly .

2) Fish for strippers from my kayak more.

3) Catch a pike on the fly.

4) Catch a gar on the fly.

5) Catch my first Potomac snakehead on the fly.

6) Catch my first albie on the fly preferably from the beach .

1) Fish more
2) Catch more
3) Explore more
4) Enjoy more
5) Simplify

Be more present in the moment

A few years ago, I resolved to catch a fish in every month. Although I did it, I found I was missing the point. Getting out every month was a far better goal. I fell short of that this December, but this has been my best year of fishing since I was a kid. So my resolution is simple. Enjoy fishing.

Fredrick wrote:

Where is this waterside strip club and what flies do the strippers there usually take? Just remember to de-barb your hooks!

HAHA!

jacob wrote:
Fredrick wrote:

Where is this waterside strip club and what flies do the strippers there usually take? Just remember to de-barb your hooks!

HAHA!

Its right on the bid D and they usually take zipper flies in green white the George Washington or Andrew Jackson sizes usually work best.

Fredrick wrote:
HMMMM..............

You need a rope fly. It works i have caught many using it. Hooks dont work.

Bruno wrote:
Fredrick wrote:
HMMMM..............

You need a rope fly. It works i have caught many using it. Hooks dont work.

Yeah I’ve been doing some research unfortunately they are not close by I have to take a road trip to catch one .

I want to get better at nymph fishing. The largest trout I ever caught was on a nymph while fishing with a guide. When I try this technique on my own I always end up going back to some form of streamer.

I always head into each new year with hopes of trying at least a couple of new streams. Which can be kinda hard. I go on fishing trips with a limited amount of time. And am usually torn between all of my tried and true waters that I've been fishing for a long time - and know that I can just about always do well at. Or take a chance at someplace
new.

This past year, I probably tried at least 5 new waters. And did quite well on most of them. And there's still something pretty special about doing that IMO

More family time, good health, happiness, early retirement. Fishing when I have nothing to do towards my other goals.

learn to Nymph fish better
buy a Jackson Coosa kyak
buy a jet boat
fish more for SM in ME
Sell off most of my many "extra" fly fresh water and SW rods and reels

Oh..lose 15 lbs

AFISHN wrote:
Oh..lose 15 lbs

Yeah, after this holiday season, I’m with ya.

For me it’s to tie some flies. I’ve been a real turd in that punch bowl.

I vow to grow hair, become handsome and wealthy. Everything else is just gravy.

Back