2014 lower Delaware R SMB YOY index: poor

M

Mike

As expected based on high river flows this past late spring, smallmouth bass reproductive success suffered in the lower Delaware from Easton to Trenton. The average YOY index since about 1990 has been 5 YOY per 50 meters of shoreline electrofishing. The 2014 index was 2 YOY per 50 m and last year's index was 1 per 50 m. This is the third problem year in the past five. Nevertheless, as with the lower Susquehanna, we expect to see compensatory relationships kick in, which are nature's way of striking a balance . Growth rates and survival rates will most likely improve, yielding the normal or near normal number of adults in the long run, but with a noticeable number of sub-legal fish present in the near- term.

Is there any kind of man made structures available that would protect Smallmouth spawning areas from high flows ? The Population of Smallmouth bass in this state has had a dramatic decline in the last five or so years . I think we should be doing more to protect our smallies than changing fishing regs and hoping for a spring with low flows during spawning time . OK I'm off my soap box ..

Nature has been taking care of itself forever, it will continue to due so in terms of compensating for high flows.

maybe its time to bring back the striper instead , they belong there !
why protect a species that was introduced ??

Thanks Mike. The results on the D were somewhat predictable. It seems to me that in recent years the eastern part of the state seems to get slammed worse with these big storms that come up from the south during the colder months.

Will be interested to see the results on the Susky and Juniata, although I suspect the numbers will be similar.

sandfly wrote:
maybe its time to bring back the striper instead , they belong there !

Bring back? That's already been done, we've had good striper fishing on the Delaware for the last decade of more (not to say there isn't something looming with the striper population and what's going on on the oceanfront. Both species provide tremendous sport on the Delaware and the fact is the smallmouth has long become synonymous with fishing the Delaware River, thank you very much.

sandfly wrote:

I can understand that question. Most people don't even realize that most fish that we take for granted, SMB included, are not native to where we love to catch them from. Either way, good fisheries and fish that people like to catch equals dollars...and dollars make the world go around. If there are dollars to be lost, then you can guarantee that people will want to save them. After all, fisheries have been changed to such a degree that I believe that we should protect the good fisheries that we have created.

Thanks for the info as always Mike it is greatly appreciated

Back