2011 5-Weight Shoot Out!

They skipped a really good American made rod ..The Hexagraph..I have fished one for the last couple of years and love it,all my buddies who have tried it like its feel,it also has a good warranty and as I said American made.

I did'nt see any "Diamondbacks" in the test either. I have several that are made in the USA. They have moved all their rod production overseas now. That's a shame they made very good flyrods when they were still in Vermont!

My favorite trout rod is a Diamondback All-American model. Its and 8' 5wt. Wish I woulda bought another one in a 7wt or 8wt back then.

I have 3 All Americans, a 8' 4wt., a 8.5' 5wt. and a 9.5' 8 wt. that I bought for steelheading. I wish I would have bought several more. They were a really nice rod for that price range. I also have 9' 4 wt VSR and a 7.5' 3wt. "Diamondglass". Last but not least a 7.5' 5wt Bamboo. They are all very nice flyrods that I enjoy very much.

The Diamondglass rods are about to return to market. Pre-sale samples have been making the rounds.

Are they made here or overseas? I think all their rods are made overseas now. Am I right? I would really like to be wrong on this one!

Probably are,but I hope not. If they make 'em like they used to I'm getting atleast one or two more. I like mine better than my Scott SAS.

What I found interesting about the article was the short paragraph saying that you dont need the top dollar rod anymore. The mid level and entry levels are using the same processed blanks but you dont get the top guides and other stuff that to me in my opinion isnt neccesary but just an added bonus. It's crazy to see how much a price for a rod is because of the advertisement for it.

bilg25 wrote:
What I found interesting about the article was the short paragraph saying that you dont need the top dollar rod anymore. The mid level and entry levels are using the same processed blanks but you dont get the top guides and other stuff that to me in my opinion isnt neccesary but just an added bonus. It's crazy to see how much a price for a rod is because of the advertisement for it.

Another factor that is important to many people is that the low-midrange rods are manufactured in asia. The higher end rods with premium components are mostly american made.

If I had the money, that would matter to me. I try to get american made gear when I can afford it.

bilg25 wrote:

The crazier thing is how much they charge for the "premium" components when installed on a rod. Orvis Hydros v. Helios is $300 difference for RecRecoil guide and upgraded reel seat, maybe $25 difference in component cost.

Yeah jdaddy I agree I mean I can't justify the price like you said for a couple of upgrades.....Asian made or American made it doesn't matter.

Jayl in reply to your post I agree if I had the money I would buy the more expensive too because I would like to buy something made in America. I guess the bigger point I was trying to make is how far along rods in general are from what they used to be. The gap is closing on what once was considered the top of the line rod in performance vs the mid and entry level rods

Back