20 & smaller

Here's a couple that I tie in size 20 and down range. Can't take credit for the pictures a friend took them.

Attachments

• wissahickon_midge[1].jpg
    wissahickon_midge[1].jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Ridley Creek Fuzz Ball.jpg
    Ridley Creek Fuzz Ball.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 3
Technique question: when fishing tiny dries or emergers, do you fish them behind a more visible dry fly? I can rarely see the tiny fly on the water.

I see the difference in the wing density and will adjust that, good eyes. Bob you never fall short on patterns! Thank you. Wet flies & I go way back it's subsurface so it counts. I appreciate all the info. everyone, the mods frown on screen name changes so we'll leave that one alone. Brian you did great nymphing you're well on your way, especially with that 10'er.

Rolf wrote:
whheff wrote:
Size 26 midge.

:)

Bill next time we get together, remind me to steal/borrow some of these. They look great!
Thanks Rolf, I'd gladly let you steal some. :)

sandfly,

What is the hook you're using in those last several pics?

I don't fish stuff that small very often, so I haven't had to really concern myself with the hooks for it, but using what appears to be an excellent piece of steel like that as a foundation might convince me to try them more.

they are old mustads I found a few years ago. bought around 12,000 hooks to use. funny thing was they were on E-bay and no one wanted them because they had weird numbers and names. fly guys passed them by. so I got them for a steal. I do sell a few here and there at my shop too.

sipe wrote:
Technique question: when fishing tiny dries or emergers, do you fish them behind a more visible dry fly? I can rarely see the tiny fly on the water.

I do this all the time when fishing a very small terminal fly. I like to fish real small emergers, zebra midges and trico spinners off the bend of a size 18 Griffiths Gnat. The GG is usually not hard to see (except when there is a lot of foam or debris on the surface) and many times I feel it is mistaken for a cluster of tricos as I tend to catch almost as many trout on the GG as I do the point fly.

sandfly wrote:
they are old mustads I found a few years ago. bought around 12,000 hooks to use. funny thing was they were on E-bay and no one wanted them because they had weird numbers and names. fly guys passed them by. so I got them for a steal. I do sell a few here and there at my shop too.

Thanks.

I think I got some hooks from that same source a few years back, but I tended to buy what I go through the most that they had a similar hook in stock...that resulted in some awesome hooks for eggs, dries, and a few long streamer hooks, but I too passed over the tiny ones.

see what you missed out on... lol

-

Back