2 wt small stream length recommendation... NEPA

I second idea of the Cabela's TQR in the 7 foot 2wt. I've had one for a few months and love it. I don't know if the price is still only $70 but if it is they're a deal. Plus when you over line it with 3wt line it really comes to life.

wouldn't over lining defeat the purpose of fishing a 2 wt.

If you currently have no small stream rod at all, I'd recommend a 7 1/2 ft, 4 wt, or something very close to that. That's a very versatile rod for small streams.

Then later on, if you want to also have something like a 6 ft 2 wt, for a very light outfit, go for it.

But get the basic small stream fishing tool first.

Meat, potatoes, and vegetables first. Then dessert, if you want.

wouldn't over lining defeat the purpose of fishing a 2 wt.

Same principle applies nomatter where on the scale you are. Rod ratings are based on a pre-defined casting distance. If you will be consistently casting at shorter distances, then "proper lining" is actually underlining. And "over lining" is properly lining.

That said, for me, anyway, the super light outfits are not made for the thick stuff. They're made for fishing midges and tricos on larger streams, where a soft laydown, light tippets, and drag management are critical. But casting distances are more "normal", and as such, I would match line weights as rated.

I like short cannons for the thick stuff. And I overline. My bread and butter brookie rod is a 4/5 wt with a fastish action, and in thicker surroundings I throw 7 wt line on it, and sometimes I think I should go farther, not less. But aren't I slowing it down with the heavy line weight? No. The length of fly line off the tip ranges between 0 and about 15 ft, most often about half way in between. There is still less weight there than 30 ft of 4 or 5wt line. What I gain is the ability to load the rod with only the line hanging from the tip to the water. No need for any backcast or fancy technique to load the rod. Hold it up, let line dangle, it's loaded enough to make a short cast. And with a short backcast, it's loaded enough to generate real line speed to punch it through small windows.

" If you will be consistently casting at shorter distances, then "proper lining" is actually underlining."

I think that should read as "...at shorter distances, then proper lining is actually OVERLINING".

or one that's designed to be fished at all distances, ie: bamboo.
;-)

I think that should read as "...at shorter distances, then proper lining is actually OVERLINING".

Term it how you want.

If you are casting a 2 wt with 7 ft of line off the tip, then using a 2 wt line is "under loading" it. It doesn't matter whether the rod is graphite, glass, or grass. There is simply less weight of fly line being tossed about than what the rod was designed for (which is a longer distance of 2 wt line).

Putting a heavier than 2 wt line on the same rod will bring it toward, not away from, it's designed load, so long as you don't then turn around and try to cast 30 ft with it!

Glass and boo do have a wider performance spectrum. Well, all "softer" actions, really. Meaning, if the rod was rated as a 2 wt for 30 ft of fly line, and you have a 2 wt line on it, yes, a slower action boo or glass rod will feel better at 7 ft than will a fast action graphite stick. That is not to say they aren't underloaded though. Those rods too may be even better at that distance with a 3 wt or even a 4 wt line on them.

I have no problem with casting short distances with fast action 7 1/2 ft 4 wts.

Making short casts comes easily to me.

Making the longer casts seems more difficult. :-o

I own a St. Croix "Avid" 7'6" 2 weight. I fished it a couple of times on small streams but now use it almost exclusively as my trico rod. The 1 and 2 weights are IMO specialized rods. I would set the minimum at 3 weight for any rod to do all that needs to be done on a small stream.

troutbert wrote:
If you currently have no small stream rod at all, I'd recommend a 7 1/2 ft, 4 wt, or something very close to that. That's a very versatile rod for small streams.

Then later on, if you want to also have something like a 6 ft 2 wt, for a very light outfit, go for it.

But get the basic small stream fishing tool first.

Meat, potatoes, and vegetables first. Then dessert, if you want.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I checked out some of the areas, and they look thick for sure. Like I did back in NY in that situation I was similar to Pcray some of the other posters, and fished shorter, heavier line wt rods, (3/4 at least).
And troutbert, thanks too, I have at least 2 of each weight rod just in my Orvis collection, I have a fly rod problem, LOL.

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the info!

Mike B

Back