2 wt small stream length recommendation... NEPA

Skeet6

Skeet6

I am wondering which 2 wt you would recommend for small streams in NEPA? Being a new PA resident, (almost 2 years) I’ve spent most of my time on the bigger streams/rivers/lakes, but love small stream fishing as I did in NY. I have a bunch to choose from, (including an original dealer sample Orvis 1 wt… that’s a 7’6”)

As far as my 2 wts go, which would you choose, a 6’ or 8’ for most small stream brookie fishing from your experiences here in Northeast PA? (I am in Pike County). And I do have other line weights, but I am mainly curious about my 2’s, I really love them.

THANKS!

Mike B

ETA: I've used my 7'6" in pretty tight quarters in NY, and having bought the 6', it seems more like a novelty, I guess, but then again, I haven't ventured off the beaten track here in PA in search of brookies. YET

For me it depends on my surroundings. I have a 5 foot 2wt that is exactly what you said a novelty. It is extremely difficult to cast and also dangle and nymph flies. I also have a 2wt 6' 10" that I like, but at times with I had some more length. I am currently in the market for a 7' 10" 1wt for small brook trout fishing. or even a 0wt. I guess when I am fishing I am usually wishing I had a longer rod than a shorter one. What part of NY did you more from?

Thanks,

I was in Ulster Co, but I fished Dutchess and in the Catskills mainly. I feel the same way regarding length - I think I'll try the 8 footer... not sure what it will be like in there.
Mike B

I have a 7'6" 4 wt that I will sometime use and I think that is a good length as well. I just want to mix it up and I agree with you something close to 8' should work well. What action are you looking at. I think it will be tough to get an 8' rod to load if I don't have much line out though. That is why I am still hesitant on getting one. Plus I have never cast a light weight rod like that. What company are you looking to go with?

I have both already. Both are Orvis Superfine, fullflex, neither have been out for anything other than lawn casting - I tend to buy new stuff, and continue to use my old stuff, lol.
Mike B

My buddy grew up in Kingston. He still lives up there in some small village between Monticello and Kingston.

Beautiful area, breathtaking in some spots... I left after the SAFE act. I am a serious traveling competitive rifleman most of the year.
Mike B

ETA: I love PA more than I ever did NY.
M

I think 7' would be about right. 6' for me is too short and 8' too long for tiny brookie streams.

I use a 7'9" 2 weight on all of my small stream fishing - with no problems.
There always seems to be a few places - even on small water - where the extra length comes in handy

take both, try both, then use the one you like more.

I have a 7'9" 3wt that is a great little rod for small streams. I use it fro Tricos and it handles big fish with no problems.

Most of the brookie streams i fish during the warmer months are line with rhododendron. Making a longer rod a hassel to cast with. I have a cortland 6' 2 wt that is awesome for getting into tighter places. But it also depends on how wide the stream is. Not one rod is going to do the trick when there are so many small streams up there. -Kev

My favorite Small stream rod is a Cabelas TQR 7ft 2wt overlined with rio gold 3wt line. This rod for me proved to be better than even my Orvis rod. If your lookin to save a few bucks I highly recommend this one.

I would suggest a fiberglass rod. Perfect for this kind of fishing, as it will load with very little line. Even the little ones will give you a nice bend in the rod. Plus glass is not nearly as fragile as graphite when it comes to poking through the thick stuff. Echo makes a 6'3" 2 wt. for 200 bucks, and Cabelas is once again offering their CGR glass in a 6'2" 2 wt for 130 bucks.

I'm with you on the Fiberglass, I have been fishing a Hardy Perfection Glass 6'6'' 3wt and just can't put it down.

you can always take the rod apart and cast just the top section in tight situations. I run from 5' to 7'6" on my small stream rods. quite a few in there too.

I'm with you on the fiberglass, I have been fishing a Hardy Perfection Glass 6'6'' 3wt and I just can't put it down

Sorry for the double post ,tried to erase it but Can't

I've never used a 2 wt on small brookie streams, and prefer heavier line weights for tight streams.

That said, your question is about length, so I'll focus on that. The answer is as long as you can get away with, but not longer. I generally use a 7'6" for most of my small stream work. There are times that call for something in the 6-7 ft range, though, and others that call for something closer to 8 ish.

The thicker it gets, the shorter my ideal rod length. Up to a point. You get to a point where it's so ridiculously thick that you give up on "casting" altogether, and are relegated purely to bow and arrow casts, "dapping", feeding line from above a pool, and "non casting" tactics like this. When you reach that point very much depends on your skill level. It's reached sooner by novices at this kind of fishing, but there are places that relegate anyone to these tactics.

Wherever that point is for you, when you reach it, you no longer have to think about swinging a stick in the brush, and hence a longer rod again becomes the better FISHING tool. They bow cast better, they dap from further, they give more control when feeding line downstream, etc. I stress a better "fishing" tool because it's still heck to navigate through brush with a longer rod.

Back