2 weight rods?

JakesLeakyWaders

JakesLeakyWaders

I have been fishing some small streams lately and am thinking about buying a 2 weight. Does anybody on the site own a 2 weight or have fished one.

I just thought it was unfair to the little 5" to 8" trout on some smaller streams when I yank them right out of the water and onto the bank with my 4 weight.

I have a 7' 5 weight that I prefer for a certain small brushy stream I fish that has larger trout. But it takes the fun out of smaller fish. Even my 7'9" 4 weight seems to have a little too much.

I was thinking maybe something between 6' 6" to 7'6" medium action.

I actually seriously considered Tenkara but am uncomfortable about the rods being like 11' - 12' long.

I did an internet search and found a 2 weight 22 rod shootout review.

http://www.flyfishohio.com/2-Weight_Shoot-Out/2-Weight_Shoot-Out.htm

I have a 6' 2 weight made by TFO. Windy days can make it a little tough to cast but it's alot of fun to use. The first time that I used it was on Pine Creek in Tioga County and I was able to cast the rod far enough to fish that bigger water. I'm also about half way through building a 5' 2 weight on a Batson RX7 blank. I'm not sure how that one's going to cast but should be great rod for fishing small mountain streams.

Yeah, I have a TFO Finesse 7'9" 4 weight and it is my favorite all around rod. I was checkin' out the rods in that shootout. Thought maybe I might try a Cabela's PT or The TFO finesse since I like my heavier TfO.

I have tried both ultra light rods and heavier rods for small stream fishing.

The heavier gear is more effective.

My 3 wt fails at stuff like bow and arrow and roll casting. It's just a novelty, really. I only enjoy it when I have back cast room.

Just my opinion here, but I'd get a 6wt for small streams before I got a 2.

I love my 2 wt.

My advise, but the rainshadow kit from cabela's and build your own ($60). This rod has the punch of a 3-4 wt. You can't mess up a brookie rod.

don't spend too much because this rod is more likely to get broken, dented and dinged.

I love my two weight. Tim Rajeff (Echo) makes them, and I can't find a better priced and higher quality rod out there. I have the same rod in a 3 wt (no, I don't need both!). I can cast that 2 with a double haul further than some of the noodle 4 wts.

http://www.rajeffsports.com/echo_carbon.php

I have a Loomis IMX 7'9' 2 weight , mated with an Orvis CFO reel- and it's my "baby"
I love using it on small, and midsize streams like spring and fishing creek.
I do prefer to fish a 3 weight line on it however, - just a little more oomph on windy days

I guess it is somewhat of a novelty and I do have a short 5 weight, but to me it is something that I have been wanting only for a handful of particular streams.

I like the 7' 5 weight because I can cast large nymphs and heavy patterns easily and the length is very manageable in brush and briars while walking streamside.

But what I am looking for is a rod that will put more fight into a bluegill or small wild brown or brookie. For casting very small patterns. There is this very small quarry I know about and I like to go there for the hundreds of bluegill and sunnies. The place would be a riot with a 2 weight.

I guess it is just personal preferance but i like things on the lighter side Jay.

My idea in buying tackle was I want to have the widest array of fly fishing equipment without having to own a dozen rods. If I could have a 2, 4, 5, and 7 weight would feel comfortable fishing anything from chubs on up to Bass and steelhead. And who cares if I break my 7 weight on a steelhead I only paid 42 bucks for it on a clearance rack.

I actually started with a Browning 5/6 weight 8'6" rod back in high school. and I absolutely hated using it on the small choked brookie streams I fished in northeastern PA. Of course I didn't have a clue what setup i needed back then I just knew I wanted to fly fish. At first it was hard to part with my 5 ft. ultralight spinning rod.

I'll have to check out Echo. I'd like too keep it under $200.

FWIW, I normally use a 8' 4wt graphite. This summer I came across a deal for a 6'9" 3wt bamboo I couldn't pass up.

Outside of small dry flies, its a chore to use. With those small dries, its an absolute dream to fish, and the feel of those 8-10" fish I catch is great.

I can't imagine trying to toss a popper with it for panfish, though.

Get one with a good warrenty. Im saving up for a 1wt for very small wooded streams.

I find light rods on small streams plenty effective.

I had the 7' 1wt Orvis far and fine and it was a nice rod for dry flys but didn't handle a splishot well at all. The fish felt good on it though. That got stolen and I replaced it with a 7' 3/4 wt diamondback that I lined with a WF3 line and I love it. It will handle a split shot and it still makes the small trout feel fun without ripping them out of the water. Its a pleasure to fish drys too.

Tight cover streams requiring roll casts and shallow back casts are better suited for a heavier weight line to punch into tight places. Especially if you want to add a little weight to a sinking fly.

Like dryflyguy, I also have that Loomis IMX 2 wt, mine matched with a Battenkill reel. I used to use it a lot on the Tully back years ago when lots of big fish were rising to small caddis every night. It is a dream to cast and use. No problem handling fish either. It can be tough on windy days. It is certainly not a novelty rod.
John

I have two 2 wt rods - one is a 6'2" bamboo and the other a 8' g.loomis trilogy. the smaller rod is a true small stream, small fly rod. the 8'er is more versatile and its faster action allows me to even fish small indicators and split shot. If you are looking for a more versatile rod, I'd recommend getting a longer rod and faster action. Dan Crafts have a good reputation of being an economical choice.

http://www.dancraftent.com/detail/index.cfm?nPID=208

Also check out and ask questions for the folks at the ultra-light fishing forum:

http://ultralightflyfishing.yuku.com/directory

Skiltonian

I also use a TFO 6' 2 wt for small streams-but I overline it with a 3 wt and it makes a very big difference-especially on tight brushy streams where most of my casts are rolls or bow and arrow.

I have a TFO finesse 7' 9" 3wt. and it is elegant although less than practical. My partner carries an 8' 2wt. TFO pro series and it casts very far with ease. Its action is quite fast and takes some of the fun out of the light tackle. I think the 8' Pro series is more versatile.

I have a nice sweet 6' 2wt. made for my shop. single foot guides, all cork reel seat. can be seen on my web site. Beutiful casting rod, I have one myself. great with a cortland sylk line on it. order one and get your name on it free.

Skiltonian,

Who is the maker on the 6'2" bamboo or is it a Banty from an older 3 pcs.

joe e

Sandfly, or is it the 6'6" one I see and not 6'. I don't see a 6'. Looks nice.

Mariner, I actually thought about getting that exact rod, The TfO finesse 7' 9" 3weight, but my trusty 7'6" St. Croix got snapped last year and I badly needed it to be replaced with another standard rod. So I went with the 7' 9" 4 weight TfO.

And since then, I broke two guides on my TfO (my fault), and fixed them myself. I used brown thread and bead head cement from my fly tying box, and surprisingly it looks ok and I don't think I'll have to re-do it any time soon. So now that rod has character, all the other guides are wrapped in green thread, it is my favorite rod.

If I had bought the 3 weight instead of a 4 weight, I would probably be wanting a 5 weight now.....but since I have the 4 weight, a 3 weight would feel like a smaller difference from a 4 weight, and I don't feel that I need a 5 weight now....this is craziness!!!!

I thank everyone for their responses,

last year when looking for a rod I used this site and a few people suggested TFO, so I struggled over the selection and finally made my choice. It was tough cause there were so many rods that appealed to me.

Thanks,

Jake

I forgot to add that Dorber makes a nice economical blank and has a good variety of lengths for 2 wts. I have a 10' 3 wt and its handled some pretty big fish. I plan to get more from them.

http://dorber.com/flyrodblanks.html

You can have a 2wt for under $100. If you don't build, you could have someone build it for you and I could even tie it up for you, but I am by no means of pro at it.

Back