2 piece versus 3-4 piece help.

R

RickyAyers

Looking into a new fly rod and I currently have a 2 piece and am skeptical on the 3 and 4 pieces but are they that much different in action or have you guys had issues with the 3-4 piece falling apart. I do know it's all in how you put it together and the 4 piece folds up smaller and what not but like I said I am skeptical on a rod over a 2 piece. Please give me your feedback on this subject. Unless its basically up to the angler and how he likes the feel and whatnot. It might just be a trial and error type thing as well.

I have both 2 pieces and 4 pieces.

I haven't really noticed any problems with 3 pieces and 4 pieces. These days, it doesn't affect the action much. The rods don't fall apart anymore than 2 piece rods do.

That said, I don't see much of an advantage either. A 4 piece requires less room in the car, which isn't an issue to begin with for me. And it's an extra piece of hassle when stringing up, and an extra 2 ferrules to wear out, etc. And when walking, I either have it together, or as a two piece anyway, as that's just too many pieces to hold.

If the same model comes in 2 or 4, I get the 2 piece. But I don't let it affect my rod buying decisions either way, if it only comes as a 4, it doesn't bother me much.

In a modern rod 2 vs. 4 pieces will not noticeably affect casting performance. Like Pat said, whatever is more convenient for you should be the criteria.

The big reason for 2 vs 4 is ease of transport. If you ever intend on doing a trip where you need to pack a lot of gear, or take a plane ride, then 4 is definitely more convenient. It also fits nicely in any trunk. The difference functionality of the rod is barely noticeable if at all.

I'm the opposite of Pat. I purchase all my rods in 4 pieces. I only own 2 - 2 piece rods. Both are short, and one was only a 2 piece because they ran out of the 3 piece.

My fishing trips are in a Subaru with the back seat down. The 2 piece rod tubes fit just fine, and you just put other stuff on top of them. If you need the passenger space, just lay them on the seat.

I usually take multiple rods anyway. So if I take a 4 piece, it's typically sitting right beside a 2 piece, and doesn't gain me anything.

Ricky,

I had the same question a couple months back. My advise is to try the rod that you want to get. If you like how it casts, and it's 3 or 4 piece... get it. If it's a 2 piece and you like it... get it... provided that portability is not an issue.

I picked up a 8' 4wt 4 piece St. Croix Ultra Legend, and it handles and casts beautifully. I also like being able to pack it in the cargo box on the back of my ATV or let my son pack it on his. I've used it a number of times now... no issues coming apart and I do like the portability.

I also picked up a 9' 5wt 2 piece St. Croix Imperial. I also like how it fishes, and for when, and what I want to use it for (river smallie fishing mostly) it suits me just fine, and I don't have any trouble finding a place to pack it in the back of my little SUV.

Thank you very much for all your input. I have a 2 piece but its a old starter kit one and didn't know if the 3-4 piece rods were any different in action. So your input was extremely helpful on this matter. I too like the 4 piece for its portability guess I will just have to make a list of good and bad about a rod and go with it. I don't plan on flying to go fly-fishing so that's not an issue. Since I live close to the Little Juniata there is no need to travel but of course when I get older and the kids grow up more where I can leave them home by themselves or at least with the wife I am sure to be out alot more in the future. This sport is still all very new to me for the most part. And I would like to thank you all for your patience and help you have provided me to help me. Again thank you.

I have a few redington 2 pc rods and a few that are the same models but 4 pc. the actions are the same, but one thing that i have noticed is on all my rods that are 4 pc, if i dont check the connections every 30 min of so of fishing at some point a section will come apart during a cast. I never need to check with my 2 pc rods.

the 30 is prob overkill but i just check it about that time and they normally need slightly tightened.

ALSO happens on my 4 pc cabelas rod and my tfo. doesnt bother me, but its what i have noticed.
I do like the 4 pc rods more, never thought that I would.

Try rubbing a small amount of paraffin (candle) wax on the male ends of the ferrules.

It seems that 4 piece rods have taken over the market as least as compared to 10 years ago. I'll be in the market soon for a new rod and although I prefer a 2 piece, all the rods I like are 4 piece.

I don't really like 4 piece but that is just an unfounded impression I have. If they were inferior to 2 piece rods they would not be so prevalent among all the manufacturers. So my next rod will be a 4 piece.

afishinado wrote:
Try rubbing a small amount of paraffin (candle) wax on the male ends of the ferrules.

I too use the paraffin wax on all my both my rods. None have come apart while fishing, but do dismantle nicely for storage.

However, as soon as I get the rods home, I clean off all the paraffin with a clean cloth, reapply a light coat to each ferrule, and put the sections back in the containers.

I know some manufacturers say "not" to use paraffin, while others recommend it. My St. Croix rods came with a container of paraffin... so I'm betting they recommend it.

I don't think I've ever seen paraffin sold except in the form of a candle. So, how do you apply and/or buy it?

Paraffin wax is used in canning foods. A box of it is enough for 50 lifetimes for you and all your fishing buddies.

I prefer this form of paraffin wax, as it is relatively pure, as opposed to candle wax which may have scents, coloring, etc.

In a pinch, birthday cake candles work OK. Just rub the wax on the male ferrule, leaving streaks of wax on it. Use the warmth of you fingers to spread and smooth the wax to cover the entire male ferrule. A little goes a long way....

The thing with paraffin wax is as north branch states. It works. But to keep it from causing more damage you have to periodically clean and reapply. I don't know if every outing is necessary, but fairly often is.

Cleaning the ferrules is generally good practice even without the wax. But the wax makes it imperative.

Otherwise it simply creates a substrate for dirt and debris to stick to, which will wear out the ferrule more quickly than it otherwise would.

I have four 2 piece rods, 2 3 piece rods and 1 five piece rod. If you travel multi piece rods are the way to go.
I don't notice any difference in action, except to say it's apples and oranges
None of them are the same model rod. I like them all for the purpose that I use them.

Back