1979 Orvis Far and Fine

foxtrapper1972

foxtrapper1972

Any info would be appreciated. I have a 7'9" Orvis Green Mtn. that I like and looking into a used Orvis Far and Fine which appears to be a similar rod. I tried one a few yrs back and liked the action. It seems to have a delicate tip and also feels strong overall which would be versatile for the kind of fishing here in PA. Any thoughts?

Did this rod come with a a sanded or unsanded blank?
Any idea on the value of one in good shape?

Thank You

I have two F&F's from the late 70's to mid 80's period. I always thought (and still think...) that they are the perfect compromise rod for the majority of PA trout streams that are worth fishing. Between the two rods, they have been back to Manchester five times for new tip sections. I can be rough on equipment...

These rods are first or second generation graphite, depending on their age. This means they are slower than the vast majority of pole vault sticks on the market today. Closer to glass than state of the art 2015 graphite.

If the F&F you are looking at is the old Premium series, the blanks are sanded and finished and look nice.

I wouldn't trade my F&F's for a gross of new rods. But that's just me. YMMV..

Thanks RLeep2. I currently have a Henrys Fork which is what would be slower compared to todays rods. I like it a lot. Also fish a 4wt 9' Winston which has a similar action. I think I'm going for the F&F just to have a shorter rod that can handle the occasional bigger fish...if that makes sense.

I bought a Far and Fine back in the 80's I was one of my favorite rods I have ever owned. I let my granddaughter use it and she loved it so I gave to her.
If you don't take that one let me know.

My first rod - bought in the early '80's - was a far and fine. Unfortunately, I lost it. But I remember it being a pretty nice all around rod. And I would also be interested in buying another, if I come across one for sale somewhere.

Back