1916: "Karoondinha"

S

Sylvaneous

If you love history and geography and Penn's creek, this 100 year of book will interest you. It's entitled "Eldorado Found, the Central Pennsylvania Highlands: A Tourist's Survey"

There is a picture of the Junction pool looking upstream at Coburn in the front of the book. It's a Google digitization from, what I can tell, is the Wisconsin Historical Society. Lots of pictures.

A neat thing is that, compared to much of Pennsylvania, like where I live, that region hasn't changed much. I saw a picture Jonas had on the feathered hook website of Coburn in 18 or 19-whatever. It got a paved road. Not much changed, from what I could see. In my part of the state, we went from settlement, the French/English period, to the Oil Boom, through industrialization and normalization to now de-industrialization, also know as "the collapse".

I downloaded the PDF and have read through some of it. See if you can recognize and visualize the places the author mentions.

Sylvaneous.

Take everything written in his books with a grain of salt (but I don't think any of the pictures are doctored). Henry Shoemaker was pretty heavy on the folktale, not fact, side of things :) But I have a number of his publications, as there's always at least a tiny sliver of truth (if not more) to most folktales, and they are an interesting read all around. Some of the original first editions are fairly rare and you can expect to pay a couple hundred dollars for them. Many of them have been reprinted (to various degrees of quality - Black Forest Souvenirs was a bit of a disappointment, in that I bought it because it had some logging photos by William T. Clarke but they were pretty pixelated in the reprint).

In some ways the area did change a lot through that time period. In 1900 there was a massive lumber mill at Laurelton on the creek that employed over 1,000 people. Another one just below that. Yet another mill at Linden Hall.

The train which ran through the narrows hauled the finished lumber products out of the area. The lumber ran into the millions of board feet.

By 1910 the lumber was played out and the regional population dropped off considerably as migrant lumbermen and their families moved on to "greener" pastures.

Later, about WWI time frame, there were people living in cabins along the narrows who road the train to work in either direction. Some people road the train to work in Mifflinburg which was the home of a large number of car body builders. This changed when car bodies started being built of steel rather than wood.

Back