10 wt line on a 9wt

hunter1

hunter1

Hi, As I posted ,I'm getting a new 9 wt saltwater reel. Question I have is it worth it to upgrade to a 10 wt on my 9 wt rod. I have a fairly new Rio saltwater line now. I would have to go toa 10 wt reel for a 10 wt line. would it cast better.

Overlining like this is OK and works well depending on the situation, but one line size above rod rating is seldom a problem.

As for the reel, It isn't a certainty that you would have to get anothr reel to handle your 10 wgt. line. Most reels handle (or are rated for) a 2-3 weight variation/range. It's often just a matter of using more or less backing. Check the stated line capacity or line range for your new saltwater reel. Chances are good it will also handle a 10 wgt.

Thank you. Seems like there wouldn't be a great advantage gained by overling. I don't cast really beyond 20 to 30 yds in the surf, and less from jetties. Than you again.

shooting head setups = cast further and less double hauling

Most saltwater lines are over weighted these days , not sure of the benefit of over lining a rod and a 10 wt line will fit just fine on a 9wt reel you will just have less room for backing .

Back