10' 4WT rod

Makee

Makee

I am thinking about upgrading my 4wt rod from a 8'6" to a 10 foot. I am looking for suggestions on what others like/use. I am looking to spend around $300. Thanks in advance for any help.

Douglas DXF (Great Feel and would be my pick)
Streamflex XF2 (Great All Around - Discontinued but you can find really good deals)

Those are the only ones I have experience with and I listed them in my order of preference.

Happy Rod Hunting!

i built one from a pacbay quickline blank and i think it's a pretty nice rod. i have no experience with other 10' rods but this one seems to be sensitive and catches fish with the euro and tightline methods. total cost was about $150

I have a used 10' 4wt 1st gen Streamflex for sale if you're interested. $175 + shipping, or meet within a half hour of Harrisburg.

I got the Orvis Clearwater 10' ($198) earlier this spring for high sticking. I love the rod! 10' was a game changer for fishing pockets over my 86. Casts real well also. Took some time getting used to a 10' rod but i would defiantly recommend a clearwater rod.

You may want to check out the Cabela's CZN rod. It comes in 10' 4wt. I have one and really like it. Right now they are 40% until Sunday. Normally 199 and now 119.

thanks to all who gave some advise but right now i am no longer going to be looking for a rod, my waders sprung a leak so i am going to replace them before i treat myself to a new rod

It's summertime. You don't need waders.

Sbecker, That is a good point....let my rod search begin again

I had an orvis access 10 ft 4 wt, that I really liked. It's now somewhere between ramcatt and ohiopyle. I ended buying a 10 ft 4 wt Helios which is my go to stick now. I'm sure you could find some of the access rods cheap since they were discontinued. To me going to a 10 footer is a game changer when it comes to good drifts.

I'm trying to remember, but I think there was another tfo bvk in the clearance room of cabellas in reading. Stopped in on Saturday, walked out with on for $116+tax. Sorry can't completely remember what the other to was that was there. But on the other side of fancy,there's one of the sage series with a$200 off promotion too, might want to check into that.

I'm with Gibsygoldtop's choice: Cabelas CZN..at 40% discount-steal,I may even buy another one as a back up

Why is a 10' 4 weight considered an upgrade from a 8'6" 4 weight?

It sounds more like a more specialized rod that will be better than the 8'6" in a couple situations, but worse in others. I'm sure the longer rod is better for tight line or indicator nymphing but I don't use those tactics.

For dry flies or dry/dropper, I strongly prefer a shorter rod. The problem I have with longer light line rods is that they don't balance very well unless you hang a fairly heavy reel on it. To me, a setup like this isn't very comfortable for overhead casting.

[
moon1284 wrote:
Why is a 10' 4 weight considered an upgrade from a 8'6" 4 weight?

It sounds more like a more specialized rod that will be better than the 8'6" in a couple situations, but worse in others. I'm sure the longer rod is better for tight line or indicator nymphing but I don't use those tactics.

For dry flies or dry/dropper, I strongly prefer a shorter rod. The problem I have with longer light line rods is that they don't balance very well unless you hang a fairly heavy reel on it. To me, a setup like this isn't very comfortable for overhead casting.

I think you would be surprised about the difference between that and 8'6. The added line control weather nymphing or throwing dries is huge imo. I am definitely a fisherman who believes it's all about the drifts. Like I said my 10 foot 4 weight Helios is my go to stick and I fish a decent amount of dry flies. It doesn't cast dries quite as well as say my 9 foot 5 weight(it's close though) but the added mending abilities far out weigh that difference. Also I have a pretty light reel on the rod and love the balance. I do own a nice 8'6 4 weight as well but hardly ever use it anymore. Try one out![

I was able to get a used 10 foot 4 weight Helios on the swap forum here from another member. I won't tell you what I paid as I might be accused of theft. I absolutely love this rod. I did recently add a reel sized for 5-6 weight lines to appropriately balance the rod. See if you can find a used Helios, even if you have to stretch your budget a little.

I am new to the sight but I will be making sure I check out the swap forum!!! Those rods are expensive!

To the OP: there's a Greys streamflex 10' 4wt recently listed in the swap forum for $150. That'd be a pretty sweet rod, I'd think. I have heard lots of good things about them.

Edit: looks like steveg already posted on this thread that he was selling the rod! Missed my first time through the thread. Looks like his asking price has come down a bit since then too.

I just got the TFO BVK 10ft 4 wt and I love it. The first fish I caught on it were two healthy Upper Delaware River browns, and it handled them easily. Like mentioned before, you will need a heavier reel to help balance the extra length.

Back