10’ 4 wt experiences and recommendations

T

tie1fly

I’ve routinely found myself thinking an extra foot on my 8’6” 4 wt would be quite useful and find throwing drys (with a floating line) with my 10’ 3wt euro rod to be a bit lacking. Both of those rods are great for a specific purpose, but lack the overall versatility I’m looking for when I want to take one rod out for a day without knowing what I will find. Enter the ~10’ 4wt.

I’ve read Troutbitten’s view on this configuration, but that is almost entirely mono-rig focused. While this may be used to tight line with a long euro leader, it’s primary purpose would be floating line techniques: dry, dry dropper, small indicator rigs, small streamers. Versatility is the priority.

I’d be interested on experiences with this 10’ 4wt configuration (less available configs like 9’6” or 9’9” would also work) in typical PA situations - 100% wading. The PA part is key as so many reviews are focused on big, windy, Western rivers or drift boats.

If it’s not against forum etiquette, recommended brands/models would be appreciated.

Thank you.

I use a 10/4 (orvis recon) almost exclusively while fishing SEPA streams. I like it alot, use it with the monorig, weight forward fly line for dries, dry dropper and bobber fishing. I like the reach for high sticking and tight lining, its also got a sensitive enough tip for detecting most strikes. It casts a weight forward line well enough to place dries and bobber rigs where I want them. It's become my go to rod.

Me too. My go-to trout rod is an Orvis H2 10' 4wt. I fish in all trout streams with it except the really small brushy streams. I nymph with it, fish dries, wets and occasionally toss streamers. It works well for me even on the bigger rivers like the D. It's the most versatile trout rod I fish.

All rods are not great though, of any weight and length. I recommend you cast a bunch of 10/4's to find one that works best for you.

I fish a 10 foot 4 weight zg helios for most of trout fishing, definitely the most versatile trout rod imo. I also have a recon in the same length and weight as a back up. Good thing since I broke the helios a couple weeks ago and it's in for repair.

I fish a 10 foot 4 weight zg helios for most of trout fishing, definitely the most versatile trout rod imo. I also have a recon in the same length and weight as a back up. Good thing since I broke the helios a couple weeks ago and it's in for repair.
How would you compare the Recon vs. Helios? I have the Recon in the 10’ 3 wt euro config.

Last spring I bought a 10/4 Recon for the versatility, and since then have done most of my trout fishing with it. At times I find casting the extra length to get a bit tedious. I also have a 10/7 streamer/steelhead/salmon rod which I definitely wish I'd gotten shorter. Probably less of an issue for the younger guys.

How would you compare the Recon vs. Helios? I have the Recon in the 10’ 3 wt euro config.
The helios is a little faster and stiffer in the butt section. Both are very sensitive.

I use a 10'6" 4 weight for fishing larger streams. Mine is the Shadow II from Echo. Fish it with a mono rig a lot (or shortie shot of competition line), but I have WF 4 wt line behind that just in case. I like a 4 weight a lot, and I even have 10' 5wt. Not a true believer in all the 2 weights and such, but I am old school, I guess.

The only experience with a 10' 4 weight I have is a TFO Blue Ribbon.....I like it alright. I've had rods I've liked better but they weren't 10'.

I got an Echo Shadow ll last winter. Ten ft/three wt. Tightline, soft hackles, dries and small streamers. I use my four weight reel with WF 4 line on it. It got a lot of use last year.

Have you tried putting a 4 wt line on your 3 wt euro rod? I've found my 10' 3wt throws a dry fly on a 4 wt line pretty respectably.

I have one of these Syndicate Pipeline P2 rods in a 10' 2 weight configuration that I use for Euro nymphing and dry dropper fishing and it has a fantastic action with a good butt section and a sensitive yet quick recovering tip. They make it in a 10' 4 weight as well which would be much better than my 2 weight as an all arounder for dries, Indicator nymphing and even light streamer fishing. Hard to beat for $349 ESPECIALLY considering it's made in our own USA. Here's the link to this rod on Syndicate website (i have no affiliations with Syndicate) :

Last edited:
I have one of the original Helios 10ft 4wt tip-flex rods and it's definitely my goto rod for most trout fishing in PA. Very versatile rod. I've since added the same rod in a 10ft 5wt configuration to my arsenal, nice for larger water.

These are not dedicated Euro rods, but can do a bit of this when needed.

Me too. My go-to trout rod is an Orvis H2 10' 4wt. I fish in all trout streams with it except the really small brushy streams. I nymph with it, fish dries, wets and occasionally toss streamers. It works well for me even on the bigger rivers like the D. It's the most versatile trout rod I fish.

All rods are not great though, of any weight and length. I recommend you cast a bunch of 10/4's to find one that works best for you.
Those H2's are pretty and great performing rods. Although I don't have any H2's (all H3's, sadly) I have always found them to be beautiful rods. My friend has a 9ft 8wt mid-flex that is a wonderful rod and feels just as good as a current gen fly rod. I think the H2 10' 4wt would be an outstanding choice for the OP, though these rods are hard to come by nowadays. I remember when Orvis still carried these in the shops.

Those ZG rods are pretty too, perhaps the pretty generation of the Helios (we know it isn't the H3). The ZG look is timeless.

I use a 10'6" 4 weight for fishing larger streams. Mine is the Shadow II from Echo. Fish it with a mono rig a lot (or shortie shot of competition line), but I have WF 4 wt line behind that just in case. I like a 4 weight a lot, and I even have 10' 5wt. Not a true believer in all the 2 weights and such, but I am old school, I guess.
The Hardy Ultralight LL may change your perception on the 2wt nymph rod.

Have you tried putting a 4 wt line on your 3 wt euro rod? I've found my 10' 3wt throws a dry fly on a 4 wt line pretty respectably.
I use a RIO Tech Trout 4WF-F line on my Hardy Ultralight LL 10'2" 2wt. Great line for the rod and really helps to load it deep. I mostly indicator fish with that rod and have found this line to be beneficial for moving around tandem rigs. The WF line also helps if I want to throw some dries. I have yet to do this on a creek but have gone to fish ponds after dusk and it performed amicably, not ideal, but it got the job done.

I snagged a Sage X 10' 4 wt a while back when they were discontinued and on sale. Works well for medium streamers on floating line or mono rig. Also good for indicator mending. Not sure about drys, probably have to overlain it.

Anyone had a chance to cast or fish the T&T 10’ 4 wt models? Zone and Aventt?

I have not casted any T&T models.

Perhaps I have another option for OP. An 11ft 4wt, and more specifically the Douglas DXF in that model. I have been fishing that rod since Aug 24th of this year and it has performed tremendously well. My favorite part with the rod is that it is not a total noodle given its length. I have found this rod to be great at lobbing bobber rigs and it can handle some heavy rigs (tie on a 4.0mm beaded mop and this rod REALLY gets to firing the rig). I have also fished some surface patterns on a pond (it did this ok, but is certainly not my preferred tool for that kind of fishing). The rod is pretty sensitive given its wt and length. I will say that for smaller fish it can bump them if your hooksets are too aggressive. The cost on these rods is pretty fair too, nearly half of what the higher end manufacturers are asking for their rods.

I think if you are looking to primarily chuck indicator rigs, this rod would be fine for you. If you are looking to do dries or dry/droppers and streamers this rod will fish them but not terribly well.

Back