10' 3wt vs 10'6" 4wt

R

Rambo93

Looking at purchasing an echo shadow 2 rod. Can't decide between these 2 models though. I mostly fish streams about 30-40' wide with brushy banks. I also frequent oil creek and make occasional trips to Penns the J and spring creek. Most of my fish are around 15" but 20"+ are not at all uncommon. Which rod would you all recommend? Thinking the extra 6" would be missed on the big water but would it be too cumbersome on smaller stuff? Could a 3 wt handle 20+" fish in fast water on a regular basis? Thanks guys

If you're catching 20"+ trout in brushy environments I would go for the 4wt so you have a shot to steer them if need be.

I landed one trout that was about 20" on a 3wt, bending the rod to the cork. I seriously thought I was going to break it. If he didn't want to leave his pool I'm not sure how it would have gone.

1 stinkin reply? The sunglasses thread is up to 4 pages lol. Went with the 4wt. Thanks davidfin

I think 10 ft is way too long for a 3-4 wt and a 5 wt would be more suited for landing 20" fish. Afterall, the line weight is keyed to fly size and wind resistance. Long casts also are not suited for low weight rod hooksets. Sounds like noodlerod for an ultralight reel.

I have no experience with Echo rods, but I do most of my fishing in medium to larger streams like Penns, LJ and Spring Creek with a 10' 4wt. The extra length helps in getting a good drift a little further out when nymphing and works well with mending dries. Also it is great for roll casts.

I've hooked, fought and landed bigger fish on the D river and in Montana with my 10/4 and have never felt under gunned.

The only advice I can give you is to test-cast the rod before you buy, if possible. If not, make sure you can return if it doesn't work well for you.

HTH.

No sweat, man.

Fish what's comfortable to you, however defined.

I recently purchased a Echo Shadow II 10' 6" 4 weight. I fished it once on Spring Creek last week. It handles very well. I also bought an Echo ION 4/5 reel to match. The balance is just about right for me. I matched the reel with SA Mastery 4 weight nymph flyline. It will handle a decent size fish as I caught several big suckers(18" to about 22") in addition to trout. I really like the extra length. You can almost reach halfway across the stream with just your extended arm and the rod without any line out. I give it an A.

I fish the Big Hole and Beaverhead Rivers in MT. I travel there 4 times each year ......I fish a 9 foot tip flex for a wide varieties of flies/nymphs/streamers ..... No issues. But........I also fish a 10 foot tip flex 3 weight ..... Multi fly rigs the same as the 5 weight ......I probably fish better with the 10 foot rod because I have less line in the water therefore less drag. I can fish any size bug that makes sense ......... The biggest issue is not fly sizes for cryin' out loud, it's the wind .... Heavier lines do a touch better in the wind. Drag is the bane of fly fishermen ....10 footers, by definition are better and I don't need a 4 or 5 weight line ....I want to lay the line out and land it as soft as a butterfly with sore feet! 3 weight's do that!!!!

I went with the 4wt, what a sweet rod! Thanks guys!

Back