10' - 11' #3 & #4 nymph rods versus old school 9' #5 or #6

Being able to reach over conflicting currents easier would be the advantage in your case moon- even if fishing downstream, that’s still a benefit. Downside is you probably sacrifice some accuracy with the 10’ vs the 9’.

As for streamers, I am not talking about stripping big stuff- I’m saying swinging maybe up to a size 6 traditional style streamer. If I am actually streamer fishing, that is when the 6wt comes out (or even the 8wt) with sinking lines or poly-leaders.

My shpeal was essentially saying “I like the long light rods for nymphing, but they’ll work for other types of fishing in a pinch if you hike in somewhere with only that rod.” Just saying if you plan to nymph all day and the fish turn on to a hatch on the surface, you can still take advantage of the action, though that rod isn’t as well rounded as say a standard 9’ 5 or 6 wt

I own all types of rods of different lengths and weights. But, I choose to fish my 10' 4wt on big rivers like the D, the Lehigh, as well as the rivers out-west, plus medium sized streams and even smaller trout streams. I will use a shorter rod in the really small brush-covered brookie type streams, but for 80 to 90% of my trout fishing my 10 footer is my go-to rod.

I find the rod casts well, mends well and overall fishes well. And I fish dries as much as nymphs and sometimes wets. I can execute a roll cast better and more easily mend line with the longer length. In fact I probably mend more when using the downstream drift on the D more than anywhere else. I cast down and across and snake roll mend my line into the current lane to get a good drift downstream.

A 9' rod works well and i've fished one and have caught many fish with it for many years, but for me a 10' rod works a little better for my trout fishing and I enjoy casting and fishing it most.

If you have a chance, give it a try. Not all rods cast well or fish well at any length, but if you find one that works for you it may add to your proficiency, as well as your enjoyment.

moon1284 wrote:
I don't nymph so I can't help you but I do not see any reason why a 10' rod would be an advantage with dry flies. I understand mending, but on big water I'm casting dries downstream 95% of the time so the mend is during the cast and after that its mostly feeding out line.

You might be surprised, nothing beats line control, no matter what your style.

Raftman wrote;

That dude sounds awesome and full of stories.

Yep he was a neat guy. All I ever saw him use were ancient bamboo rods and no less than 9' and going to 11'. I hefted one of his 9' rods and cast it a bit and not only was it heavy it was very tip heavy and super soft. I don't think any of his cane rods were famous makers. I didn't know he used silk lines but knew we used a brace of wet flies but I never saw him catch a fish. He would tell me caught one or two all day and be very satisfied. Actually that is a great attitude to have. Most of the time I am crying the blues if I don't catch at least half a dozen. Yes, rest in peace Johnny.

In all honesty, I always seem to knock 10' rods and I've never used one lighter than a 7 weight. The guys who have actually used both can provide better information than me.

I have a 10' rod but it is not a light line rod. It takes a #7 line and I use it only for steelhead. I get another foot of reach if I high stick it and it is easier to throw a mend into the line.

I use a 9' 4wt. Winston BIIX for all my fishing here out east.....And a 9 1/2' 5wt. for out west......was thinking of going to a 10' 4wt. and a guide /shop owner, I use out west told me I'd be wasting my money...... So I never pulled the trigger.....

I bought a G. Loomis 10' 3 wt last season with the intent of improving my nymphing game. It has, as so many have stated, improved line control, reach, and feel making it worth it for those reasons alone. It is also a great stick for fishing dries, especially for mending and reach casts. Go for it, you won't be sorry!

whneff wrote;

I guess my point is that like all things fishing you should find someone who will let you try their rods

Sounds like a great idea! When can I use that setup for a day? :) :)

wbranch wrote:
whneff wrote;

I guess my point is that like all things fishing you should find someone who will let you try their rods

I have got a 10ft 3wt you can use. Just tell me what launch to meet you at on the Delaware.

Float trip for use of rod seems like a good deal to me lol

I learned to tightline nymph on a 8.5' 3wt in the 90's. I always considered an 8.5' rod to be about perfect. I allowed myself to be suckered into buying a 9' 4wt and I loved it for swinging soft hackles. A friend suggested I try a 10' 3wt. I laughed. He pressed. I tried it. Yeah, I bought one. Ok, two. I now have a 10' 3wt. and a 10' 4wt.

wbranch wrote:
Do the users of these latest generation of nymph rods and lines really catch more fish than guys like me who have used a 9' #5 or #6 rod/line for forty or fifty years?

Yes, but it has more to do with technique and fine tuning of those techniques than it does with rod length or weight. I got into euro style nymphing before owning any rods longer than 9' but noticed immediate results. Also, that's not to say i don't catch a lot of fish with indicator rigs. I most certainly did. Euro and tight line techniques just allowed me to fish effectively in situations where floating indicator rigs came up short. For instance: shallow riffles. Czech nymphing probably catches 5x as many fish for me in shallow riffles compared to indicator rigs and does it with fewer snagged flies.

^ All good posts above.

Don't not try tight-line nymphing because you don't have a 10' rod. A longer rod helps, but as PK said above, it more about learning the technique and rigging rather than having any kind of special kind of tackle.

I've messing with this type of nymphing since I was a teen (and I'm kinda old :oops:). I started nymphing by feel and watching my line like I did when I fished bait for trout as a kid. That was the only way I knew how to fish, and I had no one to teach me the "right" way to fly-fish. :) Turns out it was the right way, or at least one of the best ways to fly-fish.

I had terrible equipment compared to today and yet I caught a lot of fish and had a heck of a good time. It just takes a little time and a little effort to get the rig right and get a feel for it. So don't let your tackle stop you from giving it a try.

wbranch wrote:
whneff wrote;

PM me and see if we can get together on the Little Lehigh some time in early April. I could bring 3 rods to try out.

I've done good tight-lining with a 7.5' 4 weight. It certainly isn't ideal but if the conditions are good and you can get close to the fish it works just fine. Definitely a huge difference between using my 7.5' orvis superfine, my 8.5' Redington CT, or any of my 9' rods. 9' is the longest rod I own. My favorite rod to fish is definitely my 7.5' Orvis Superfine though. I'm sure that I would love a longer rod too and I bet I could fish very effective with one. I like being the odd ball fishing a short rod.

I always feel I'm missing out on something when new things come out but not enough to put in the effort and time to try it. My old favorite rod was a 9 foot 4 weight Orvis Rocky Mounain series rod. Fishing mid sized streams it worked great but I really didn't see much difference from using that rod to using my eight foot four weight rod. I have to admit I resemble the above because I nymph fish the same way I fished with bait. I never use a strike indicator and went by feeling the strike and watching the line. I can see how fishing large streams you would be better off with a longer rod and using a strike indicator.

I've only ever used one ten foot rod and that was fishing for Salmon in Alaska.I didnt notice any difference but wasn't nymph fishing we were using streamers.

krayfish2 wrote:
I feel ya brookie. Half the time I'm out there, feel like a 7wt would be so much easier to use but can't bring myself to use one. Multi-fly, weight or big Indi doesn't work very well on 3 wt line. LOL

Multifly heavy weighted nymph rigs and big indicators can easily be thrown. Especially with new designed lines.
I can throw dries and smaller streamers with it as well.

Appreciate all the info and points of view; I just bought a 10' 3/4 for a silly price. I know you should always cast it first but I couldn't resist. I do a ton of nymphing anyway so I'm fairly sure this will improve my tight lining at least, especially since I'm used to an 8.5' stick.

Back