10' - 11' #3 & #4 nymph rods versus old school 9' #5 or #6

wbranch

wbranch

I am very curious to hear opinions on the supposed greater effectiveness of the newer, and much longer and slower, rods being designed strictly for nymphing. I'm referring to rods in the 10' - 11' range and for light lines in the #3 - #4 weights. Do the users of these latest generation of nymph rods and lines really catch more fish than guys like me who have used a 9' #5 or #6 rod/line for forty or fifty years? Thanks for all opinions.

Catch more fish?? I think that's probably a case by case basis. All I can say is my drifts are better with a longer rod. More line control and leverage are a big plus from a 10+footer. I nymphed for many years with a 9'#5, that's how I learned. I tried a 10 footer and never looked back, my other rods hardly get used, even for dries. If you're thinking about trying one I say go for it, it made a big difference for me.

Hi Ryan,

If you're thinking about trying one I say go for it, it made a big difference for me.

Nah, I'm too old to be buying any more rods! I just posted up a new Gatti 10' #7 3 piece on the Swap forum. Besides if I really want to try it I have a 10' 6" switch rod rated for a #6 line but I'm sure I could put a WF #4 on it and do fine with roll casts or lobs.

For my style of nymph fishing, I wouldn't want a rod lighter than a 5wt. As for the 10' rods, I can see a couple advantages in the added foot but (in my case) I don't think they're enough to warrant a new rod. I'll keep my 590.

Matt,

You know the guy from Canada that drives the old camper and fishes just above your cabin. I think he's got a 11' rod. He'll let you cast it. My buddy Josh tried it for 2 casts and handed it back to him. The guy asks "What did you think of that?". Josh's response, "Wow, that thing sucks". LOL

BrookieChaser wrote:
For my style of nymph fishing, I wouldn't want a rod lighter than a 5wt. As for the 10' rods, I can see a couple advantages in the added foot but (in my case) I don't think they're enough to warrant a new rod. I'll keep my 590.

Brookie, why no lighter than a 5 weight? Just curious.

Ryan, the main reasons are heavily weighted double fly setups and a fair amount of line out this time of year in heavy water.

I feel ya brookie. Half the time I'm out there, feel like a 7wt would be so much easier to use but can't bring myself to use one. Multi-fly, weight or big Indi doesn't work very well on 3 wt line. LOL

The newer, longer and lighter rods make a HUGE difference when combined with proper rigging and technique. I own a few of these rods and did slightly better nymphing after purchasing. My large catch gains came after I learned how to take advantage of the full potential of the rod by adapting my leaders and presentation.

Like anything else, the tools are only as good as the mind and hands that control them.

Hi Andy,

You know the guy from Canada that drives the old camper and fishes just above your cabin. I think he's got a 11' rod.

His name was Johnny. Yep, he used to spend many hours in the Methodist Pool and down to the abutment. He came over to my cabin in the later summer of 2016 and didn't look very good at all. He passed a week or two later. His camper is still in the lot by Tinklepaughs the guy who sells propane. It is probably still full of all his bamboo rods and really old fly reels. He was a nice guy although some guys gave him a hard time. He used to also sleep up at Upper Game Lands.

That dude sounds awesome and full of stories.

ryansheehan wrote:
Catch more fish?? I think that's probably a case by case basis. All I can say is my drifts are better with a longer rod. More line control and leverage are a big plus from a 10+footer. I nymphed for many years with a 9'#5, that's how I learned. I tried a 10 footer and never looked back, my other rods hardly get used, even for dries. If you're thinking about trying one I say go for it, it made a big difference for me.

+1 ^ Ryan saved me some writing.

You wouldn't think that a 10ft 3wt can slug around a big strike indicator and two heavily weight nymphs but they can. (I am talking two heavily weighted stoneflies with 1/8 tung beads)

I can cover penns in high water with it just as easy as a 9ft 5wt. You can only control so much line without drag in high water and conflicting currents so it isn't like you are casting the nymph rig 50 feet while wading.

30 feet and in they are the same for casting nymph rigs. Then once it is out that 30 feet the 10ft mends the line easier and provides a better presentation.

Matt,

I didn't know he passed. He was a fixture at the old bridge piling as long as I can remember. I was wondering why I saw his camper in town but hadn't seen him. It just sat at the Getting for almost a year. He did the silk line and brace if we thing and caught plenty of fish doing it. That 11' (or longer ) bamboo my buddy tried weighed a ton and was very tip heavy. RIP Johnny.

I use a 10 4wt and a 5wt (when I need two stones or other heavy nyphms or when I want to have the option to throw a streamer), and neither are specifically euro-nymphing specialty rods. As a few said above, the well designed leader that fits your own style seems to make the difference once you factor out the reach/longer drift. I am 48, so I learned to fish with tightline and weight, ala Joe Humphries, then embraced the bobber, but this euro style has been equally enjoyable, a fun, effective new tool to have. I think it sets itself apart with light leaders and small flies and the ability to get the small bugs deep quickly without leading your cast 10 feet upriver of the target with an indicator, for example.

I want to get a 10' 5wt rod for larger rivers just so I can have a little extra reach and distance maybe. My style of fishing is almost all done on a 9'6wt. I mostly indicator nymph with size 12 nymphs often beadheads on average. I know though if I add an extra foot I'll be hitting more tree branches and whatnot when casting on my normal streams. I already do that enough with my 9'. Is the 6wt over kill? Maybe...but I can use that same rod to chuck most streamers and I've even thrown #24 tricos with it on occasion. You can do more with an over weighted rod than an under weighted.

My nymphing game has increased substantially using a longer rod. I have an 11’ 4wt that I love- it’s usually rigged up for euro nymphing, (long leader / sighter and level euro specific fly line) but for long stretches of water where that technique is not well suited, I carry an extra spool rigged with a WFF 5wt line for indicator fishing / dry flies in a pinch, and I can switch over quickly. I dig the longer rod for keeping line off the water and it makes big mends really easy (when using the WFF). Also, with the WFF I can work my way back downstream swinging wets or streamers if I feel so obliged. With the extra length, one can roll cast / use single handed Spey casts like a beast.

That being said, it’s most ideal for euro techniques, but with a quick change of spools, it’ll fish other techniques too if you need it to. It’s certainly not a one trick pony if you are willing to experiment a little and may be more versatile than most think.

One thing I want to try with it is carrying a shooting head, and using the euro line as a running line (its super thin and I imagine would work) but I haven’t pulled the trigger on that yet. Basically just swap out the euro leader for a shooting head and various tips if you wanna go to swinging streamers.

I got a 10' 4wt H2 a couple years back, and it has become my go-to rod for both nymphing and dries. The added length makes mending and reach casts SO MUCH EASIER. Especially on big, heavy water like the Delaware or Lehigh. Just by using the Pythagorean theorem you can probably calculate how much more line can be mended with each stroke. I'm going to get a 10' 5wt this year if I can spring for it, so that I can have the 4wt rigged with a dry and the 5wt rigged with a double nymph rig.

I love to nymph and really got into it about 5 years ago. I have a Cabela's CZN 10' 4wt and I think, for me it is a great rod for CZ nymphing. It is very soft and sensitive and i have no problem handling 18" fish in fast water.
Last year I won an Orvis Helios 10' 4wt. This rod has a stiffer butt and has great fish fighting ability but gives up some of the sensitivity of the CZN.
I like double taper lines and I build a simple leader with a build in sighter. I hardly us an type of indicator.
I guess my point is that like all things fishing you should find someone who will let you try their rods.

I don't nymph so I can't help you but I do not see any reason why a 10' rod would be an advantage with dry flies. I understand mending, but on big water I'm casting dries downstream 95% of the time so the mend is during the cast and after that its mostly feeding out line. I also think if you want to throw streamers a 4 or 5 weight doesn't cut it no matter what the weight. If streamers mean size 10 wooly buggers than OK.

I've fished the upper delaware for quite a while with mostly a 9' 6wt for dries and a 9' 7wt for streamers. I have an 8' 5wt I'm going to try this year that I think will work good. Personally, I don't lose much distance with an 8' rod vs a 9' rod. I do lose quite a bit with a 7' rod vs a 9' rod.

Back