Rod Build Thread

I inherited a old bamboo rod, that's quite frankly beat to hell.

Bad news: A few missing guides and the rod is painted. Guides held on by electrical tape. I assume the finish was failing and they just decided painting it was a good idea.
Good news: the actual rod, reel set and ferrules appear to be in good shape.

Not sure the story on it, but I assume one of my family members just wanted to go fishing and that's all they could do at the time to get on the water. It was buried in my families house of 80 years in the attic.

I didn't have the heart to throw it out.

So my question is, is it stupid to try to scrape away the paint, refinish, and wrap new guides on to the rod? I've never built a rod before, but I feel like the rod deserves a second chance.
Yes give it a shot!

Take some before and after photos for the thread please.

Here's the before pictures:

My plan is to get the paint scraped, rewrap the guides based on the old varnish marks, and keep the patina of the grip/rod seat I think

The make shift hook keep have been removed as well.

Before scraping mechanically, try an organic paint remover like Fast Orange, which uses the oil from orange peels as the main ingredient.

I'll look into that. I was a little bit worried about using a paint remover on the rod in general. I wanted to try to preserve the varnish so I can see where the guides were

I did some scraping on the base section, but I probably will try the paint stripper on the tip and mid sections. The paint chipped off pretty easily.

We determined the rod was likely my great grandfathers. Under all the paint the original wraps were red with black trim. The reel seat was also gold at some point too, but the finish has worn off.

From what I can tell, someone along the way though it was a good idea to paint it and rewrap the ferrules and some guides and cover with tape. While not the right way to fix it by any means, it was likely just to get out on the local crick to catch some trout.

Once I get the paint off I am going to see what ghost wraps are there still and likely rewrap in the same way with new hardware.

Last edited:
The tip looks to be an inch or two short which may or may not effect the action if you plan to fish with the rod. I also hoped you marked the guide locations. ;)

In addition, I can't tell from the photo how far up the blank that makeshift hook keeper was situated but it appears it penetrated pretty far into the blank. That may be an area of concern for possible breakage if you plan to fish with the rod.

Finally, IF you did mark the guide locations and plan to fish with the rod, you might want to reattach them with tape and see if you can dial in a line weight before going any further.

With the short tip I'd start with a 7wt line and go up or down from there.

Good luck!!

The tip looks to be an inch or two short which may or may not effect the action if you plan to fish with the rod. I also hoped you marked the guide locations. ;)

In addition, I can't tell from the photo how far up the blank that makeshift hook keeper was situated but it appears it penetrated pretty far into the blank. That may be an area of concern for possible breakage if you plan to fish with the rod.

Finally, IF you did mark the guide locations and plan to fish with the rod, you might want to reattach them with tape and see if you can dial in a line weight before going any further.

With the short tip I'd start with a 7wt line and go up or down from there.

Good luck!!

The make shift hook keep was closer to the ferrule than the grip, I'd have to measure to actually see how close it is. So that's definitely a concern, I'd imagine it compromises the durability a lot.

But I don't think I'll be fishing this rod regularly. It was pretty much going to be trashed if I didn't take it. There was another tip that broken, and stripped of any usable components.

My goal would be catch a couple trout with it, put it on the wall with one of the old school reels I inherited a while back.

I suspect it might be a Sears Rod based on some pictures I've seen online. The reel seat/grip is about the same. No idea on year Plus there's a Sears reel to go with it!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/256345255048

The make shift hook keep was closer to the ferrule than the grip, I'd have to measure to actually see how close it is. So that's definitely a concern, I'd imagine it compromises the durability a lot....

You might want to consider trying to force a bit of epoxy into the hole left by the hook keeper and wrapping over it with an inch or so long invisible wrap.

My goal would be catch a couple trout with it, put it on the wall with one of the old school reels I inherited a while back.

I suspect it might be a Sears Rod based on some pictures I've seen online. The reel seat/grip is about the same. No idea on year Plus there's a Sears reel to go with it!

A worthy goal!!

BTW - I'm no expert, but that could be a Horrocks & Ibbotson or Montague rod. BTW - Both companies built rods for Sears.

You might want to consider trying to force a bit of epoxy into the hole left by the hook keeper and wrapping over it with an inch or so long invisible wrap.

A worthy goal!!

BTW - I'm no expert, but that could be a Horrocks & Ibbotson or Montague rod. BTW - Both companies built rods for Sears.

That's a good idea, I'll look into it. I'll look into those rod manufacturers too

I appreciate the encouragement from everyone to take this project on

You will have to revarnish that rod to protect the bamboo. I would tape some guides on it to see if it is even worth fixing up to fish but you could break it casting, i can't tell from the picture what shape the bamboo is in or if you have delamination at the seams where water may have penetrated. If you just want to put it up hanging somewhere that is different. Grandfather's rod I would fix it up. That hook keeper concerns me, If you have a dial caliper measure the depth of the hook keeper and the rod where it was in.

The make shift hook keep was closer to the ferrule than the grip, I'd have to measure to actually see how close it is. So that's definitely a concern, I'd imagine it compromises the durability a lot.

But I don't think I'll be fishing this rod regularly. It was pretty much going to be trashed if I didn't take it. There was another tip that broken, and stripped of any usable components.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/256345255048
If you fish with it, definitely sleeve the hole over epoxy (you may need to pull/install
a ferrule if possible) or fill the hole, wrap with thread and finish with epoxy.

Back