ZAPaGAP usable life once opened

L

lestrout

I don't use Krazy Glue much, but the sculpin skulls at the Lancaster show wanted to come home with me. I read the directions on the package and so got some ZAPaGAP. Is this stuff different than the usual Krazy Glue in the lifespan of the product once I open it?

tl
les

Hi Les,

It'll last for years IF you keep the tip clean and capped. A good thing to do is to wipe the tip off with a paper towel before you snap the cap on.

If you don't keep the tip clean of glue, eventually dried glue will prevent the cap from sealing, and it'll dry out the contents of the bottle.

Zap a Gap is also waterproof, so it's great for using on flies.

I used to work for the largest East coast distributor for Pacer Technologies products, and was responsible for all returns - I'm very familiar with their products. They made another CA adhesive that was even better (Flexi Zap) - it was flexible when dried, and had a stronger bond strength.

Pacer makes accelerators that can be sprayed on to dry the CA in a second or two. Beats waiting for the stuff to dry completely, but you have to be careful to not use too much - it can create a white haze on the glue. Neat stuff.

If you keep the Zap-a-Gap upright and open it will last until you use it up. Keeping the cap on always resulted in a dried up bottle for me. Keeping it upright and open has kept a bottle going for over a year now. I like the Loctite gel super glue for the sculpin skulls, among other things. Get the blue and black container. It stays put where you place it and doesn't soak in as quickly to the materials like Zap-a-Gap. It's also nice for attaching eyes to streamers as it won't run.

I've had the same bottle for awhile now. Sometimes some cement dries in the spout area, but I usually just take a bodkin and clean out the spout and the glue flows fines.

the superglue gel you can buy for $2 in a pharmacy works just as well as zap-a-gap. I opt for brushable krazy glue unless I need something a little thicker.

dubthethorax wrote:
the superglue gel you can buy for $2 in a pharmacy works just as well as zap-a-gap. I opt for brushable krazy glue unless I need something a little thicker.

I thought the selling point of zap-a-gap was that it isn't water soluble while most over super glues are?

Something that has worked well for me to keep the tube from clogging up on mine is standing the container top up instead of laying it down. I'm talking about super glue containters that doesn't have the flat base on them. Does any one have a container of zap a gap handy? Other than cyanoacrylate is there anything else in it?

Thankyou very much sir. Quite informative, you know I'm just a nail banger that almost made my head hurt. :lol:

I don't know Ed, maybe it should be Harvard-Angler. Has a nice ring to it

I have used Zap a Gap for other applications and I have had the best success wiping the top off with mineral spirits when finished and then putting a thumb tack into the tip to keep it from drying.

I have read that keeping it in a freezer keeps the life longer.

This line from the MSDS made me LOL.

"Ingestion - Lips may become stuck together"

"OK Billybob - you drink this stuff, and tell us what happens."

Heeeere's your sign...... :lol:

Yea, I got a good laugh out of that one myself. Makes you wonder why that in particular is in the disclaimer. It does seem hard to believe someone actually did it, but that saying did not come out of nowhere.

wsender wrote:
dubthethorax wrote:

I thought the selling point of zap-a-gap was that it isn't water soluble while most over super glues are?

I dunno. I never had any problems with super glue.

Back