YouTube Tyers... you don't need to do that.

S

Sylvaneous

Ever see a YouTube tyer do something in the process and go..."nah..."
In the last day, I saw people use superglue on the starting wraps to tie down pheasant tail fibers and the core of a chenille/egg/body wrap.

Being a liberal progressive by nature, I'm fine with you doing whatever makes you happy as long as you don't interfere with other people. Also, I appreciate good intent.

However, I have learned at the feet of masters of the art. I will spare you the list so that I myself don't sound like a fan-boy or a Chad. I have taken their lesson that less is more, actions should have purpose.
Please, use multiple colors of dubbing, 2 different overlays and glue at every step. Spend 20 min on a Frenchie. Make it a master piece.

When a tyer's process goes on line, it is some kind of statement of standard, an element in the ether, some establishment of what it is to tie a fly. So it is with social media. Somebody said something once. Yes, it probably IS written somewhere. We all act as advocates for our opinion and our approach to each other on line.
What does it matter, supergluing a step that, in my 35 years of fly tying, has never been a problem? Nothing, sort of. Use mink dubbing and actual gold and silver tinsel. Spend every moment and the last penny. Or don't. Or make it work with less. Do what works. I studied karate for 4 years. I dated a Japanese post-doc during graduate school. I can't help but have sympathies for the, maybe not minimalism , but the material essentialism of that culture's aesthetic.
I betray this whenever I do my golden stonefly version of a Kauffman's Stonefly nymph and my other ties that I mostly base on what Dave Rothrock showed me. But for the LOVE OF PEAT (moss) , I don't superglue down any pheasant tail or anything else on a trout fly that I tie-in over the entire length of the hook shank. Ugh. Self-referential 'experts'.

What is said about the tyranny of small differences?
Syl

Everyone is an expert. Everyone is a guide. To hell with em all, and just live till you die.
Take the air in, breathe it in slow, observe shimmering leaves, the stream's gentle flow.
Watch as the bugs, caddis, mayflies, emerge from the water, just to mate and then die.
Life's precious moments, quick and then gone, flutter on by, like a note in a song.
Mind yourself, treat others fair, live as you please, and let them do as they care.
Enjoy each season, and nuance it brings, and praise sweet mother earth, for these beautiful things.
Just remember to stop, listen, be still, and thankful for our short time and chance to fulfill our will.

My ode to maxima.....maybe not written enough in code though.....

Everyone is an expert. Everyone is a guide. To hell with em all, and just live till you die.
Take the air in, breathe it in slow, observe shimmering leaves, the stream's gentle flow.
Watch as the bugs, caddis, mayflies, emerge from the water, just to mate and then die.
Life's precious moments, quick and then gone, flutter on by, like a note in a song.
Mind yourself, treat others fair, live as you please, and let them do as they care.
Enjoy each season, and nuance it brings, and praise sweet mother earth, for these beautiful things.
Just remember to stop, listen, be still, and thankful for our short time and chance to fulfill our will.

My ode to maxima.....maybe not written enough in code though.....
Speaking of maxima, does anyone know how he's doing? I always got a kick out of reading his posts. He was just a bit frustrated with some of the changes he was seeing. Good guy!

He is a good guy and you can always count on him to add some clarity to the conversation but in Max Speak

Speaking of maxima, does anyone know how he's doing? I always got a kick out of reading his posts. He was just a bit frustrated with some of the changes he was seeing. Good guy!
Yo wi - he's active on another forum. So he's ok.

Back