Your "loadout"

TheBlackSheep

Hi everyone, new guy here. I wanted to ask, what do you carry in your gear bags, chest packs, etc?

Being new, I'm likely carrying too much and missing some things.

I'd obtained an older Field and Stream chest pack from a friend and it seems more than appropriate: like 4 elastic pockets (I'm guessing for small fly boxes) and zippers behind with space in between.

Showing how new and ignorant I am to the sport I have the following but really would like to hear from people who have been there and done that...

- tippet spools, 4-6x
- fly boxes: dry, wet, nymphs
- spit shot
- line clippers/nail knot tool, hook hole tool
- net w/ lanyard
- thermometer (a bit of a geek)
- needle nosed pliers for hook removal
- licenses and stamps

I haven't yet really explored using streamers.

With regard to the flies I have - a lot of been acquired and are assorted. I'm guessing it's a good idea to hit up people familiar with the streams and areas I'd like to fish to see what I should consider carrying....

But with that - how do you organize and store your flys? How much of what is enough to carry with you and how much is too much?

Any ideas and help, tips, DIY stuff or cost saving measures today would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

Being new, I'm likely carrying too much and missing some things.
Hello TheBlackSheep,
You are carrying too much and will likely do so for at least the next 30 years (like I have). 🙂
My vehicle load heading to water consists of three reels with various line weights, and at least two spare rods... You know... just in case. I also have at least three extra boxes of flies which are left in the car along with the spare rods and reels when I'm all rigged up. Basically, if it fits in the vest, it goes with me in the car. Not everything goes with me to the water.
Regards,
Glenn

Carrying a thermometer does not make you a geek. I would say that most of us carry one, and in warmer temperatures, it is a very important tool, not only for trout survival, but for finding good fishing waters as well.
Thanks, was worried I might have gone one bridge too far

your list looks pretty good to me - a couple of things that I would add:
- fly desiccant (especially if you fish CDC dry flies)
- a few extra leaders
- small flashlight/headlamp
- toilet paper (you never know)

Reactions: Kms
I'm usually not that far from the car. Alot of the stuff mentioned in above posts stays in car. Not mentioned above is bug dope.

On me is usually 2 boxes of flies, nymphs and dries. 1 or 2 spools tippet, 1 or 2 replacement tapered leaders, pliers, knife, thermometer, dessicant, sinkers, a plastic bread bag, and 1 or 2 indicators. What I do carry that no one has mentioned is a spare spool for my reel. If I'm nymph fishing, 9x out of 10 it's tightlining with a mono rig. Should I start seeing surface activity, I switch spools to a floating line and continue fishing in <5 minutes. Sometimes the order is reversed

As a fellow newb, I carry everything you mentioned plus:
- Emergency whistle (not a fish whistle)
- A few extra leaders
- A clip of tippet rings
- Knife and/or multi-tool
- hemostat
- wading staff
- polarized sunglasses (if that counts)

Last edited:
Back