Youghiogheny Symposium - Registration Deadline 21 June

Dave_W

Dave_W

Staff member
The Youghiogheny Symposium will be held at the Penn State Fayette Campus on June 24-25th. Just caught this so you'll need to regsiter today - sorry for short notice.

Registration and Info

Online registration is actually open until Tuesday June 21st. I may try to attend this and report back to the forum members who are interested.

Thanks for the heads up Dave!

Thanks Dave.

I would love to attend this but can't make it - any summary or report would be much appreciated.

The W PA with Laurel Highlands is quite special and worth protection from varies agencies and resources.
I hope to attend this event and bring you some news and insights if I can.

Question:
Will a representative for the Army Corp of Engineers be there to answer questions?
I have a few on how and who makes the decisions on outflow water regulations.

People worried about flood control as opposed to good tailwater fishing.

Jack, I fail to see where water releases from 6 PM on Fridays to 6 PM on Sundays has anything to do with flood control. Besides I'm more worried about the federal governments stocking of fresh water sharks in the Yough. What could go wrong there.

I understand now that you give the time frames. Yes, they do cater to the whitewater/rafting industry which probably brings in way more tourist dollars than a few dozen anglers.

JackM with a Mic Drop

Why drop a microphone except as a dramatic act of defiance or feigned declaration of victory-- I meant neither.

That's how it came across, if it wasn't meant it was still well done. #EitherWay

I fish that stretch way more than I raft it, but in the Summer, the rafters outnumber me and other anglers 20-1.

Youghiogheny River Symposium
Penn State Fayette, Eberly Campus,
Community Center Magerko Auditorium,
2201 University Drive, Lemont Furnace, PA 15456
June 24 and 25, 2016

This was a great Symposium concerning Youghiogheny River as the natural invaluable asset to W Pennsylvania.
Mr. Dale Kotowski - President of Chestnut Ridge Chapter with his team brought unique and diversity leaders, local officials, tourism advocates and agencies together under roof of Community Center, Lemont Furnace Penn State Fayette.
Symposium took 2 days with Department of Conservation and Natural Resources agents; organized with panels speakers arranged in distinct groups:

The Living Planet

Our Youghiogheny in Global Context

The River of Opportunity

History of Healing

The River at Risk

First day continued with comments, "Happy Hour" and The Yough Fishery: Guide Talk. Second Day - Saturday took place at Lake outflow in Confluence with a tour of cage culture nursery maintained by Chestnut Ridge of Trout Unlimited.

LINKS:

Chestnut Ridge Chapter of Trout Unlimited

Mountain Watershed Association

Fayette County Conservation District

List of Speakers

Photography by skybay

Attachments

• Yough Boulders.jpg
    Yough Boulders.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Yough Boulders2.jpg
    Yough Boulders2.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Yough by RamCat.jpg
    Yough by RamCat.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Audytorium-PennState Fayette Campus.jpg
    Audytorium-PennState Fayette Campus.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Cafeteria Campus.jpg
    Cafeteria Campus.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Dale Kotowski.jpg
    Dale Kotowski.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Dr. Cynthia Walter, Associate Professor of Biology, Saint Vincent College.jpg
    Dr. Cynthia Walter, Associate Professor of Biology, Saint Vincent College.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Rose Reilly, Biologist, US Army Corps Of Engineers.jpg
    Rose Reilly, Biologist, US Army Corps Of Engineers.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 3
Back