Yough River advice.

S

somersetian

I'm looking for some info about where I can park and access the river. I fished it a couple of summers ago in Connelsville by some railroad tracks and what looked like a local swimming hole and party area. I'm looking for smallmouth and the possibility of Musky. I was also wondering about any sections that are floatable by canoe. I believe I've seen posts by someone who actually guides on the Yough. I would be down for a guided trip before the end of summer. Never been on one and I'm not getting any younger. Thanks.

Check with the outfitter in Layton, downstream from Connellsville. They have shuttle services and you have options to go upstream or down. Smallmouth and musky would be possibilities from Connellsville down beyond West Newton.
Hazelbakers

Having watched their promo video, it seems if you want to float downstream from there, you will need to shuttle yourself.

Thanks for the tip I'll look into it.

I can't even begin to guess how many times I've floated from smithton down to cedar creek park. Lots of smallmouth there but never caught a musky while targeting smallmouth. We have caught maybe a dozen or so muskies the last few years from the yough while specifically targeting them though. All the muskies have been from smithton down to boston. This year has been very slow on the yough for muskies. 7 all day trips to the yough with only 1 musky caught there. Quite a few muskies from the mon this year though.

Just off of Turner Valley Road om North Huntingdon you can park next to the Municipal Water Plant and walk across the RR tracks. Caught a Rainbow on a Rebel crayfish just below the rapids.

Back