You can go back again

TimMurphy

TimMurphy

Dear Board,

For the first time in at least 5 years, and probably longer, I spent some time standing in Pine Creek waving a stick on Friday 10/11/19.

My wife and I rented a cabin outside of Haneyville from 10/5 to 10/12. We arrived after dark on 10/5, and Sunday the 6th was spent running to Lock Haven and buying food and drink for the week. I knew rain was coming, but I hoped it would be light.

On Monday we went on a drive from Rte 44 through the detour to Slate Run via Francis Road. When we got to Wolfe's Store in Slate Run it was raining steadily and my wife wanted nothing to do with fishing, so I snuck in a few casts with a spinning rod from the bank at Black Walnut Access. I turned a nice fish and landed one about 17 inches. I had high hopes for the rest of the week.

Needless to say it rained cats and dogs from 11:00 AM on 10/7 until almost dawn on 10/8. Most of the rain fell further up the watershed, so we decided to check out Little Pine Tuesday morning. When we crossed the Pine on Rte 44 on the way to Waterville I nearly puked. It was up at least 2 feet and turd brown.

My wife and I spent most of the week enjoying the weather from Tuesday on and did many driving and walking tours on the forest roads between the Pine and Kettle Creek valleys. We saw plenty of animals, and took many pictures, but I wanted to fish before the week ended.

On Friday after we did a little driving tour with a couple of friends who came to visit us Theresa noticed me pouting and said, "Go fishing for God's sake!"

And so I did. I tried a couple of casts on Upper Pine Bottom Run and while I missed both fish that I rose, I felt encouraged. I drove to the Hotel Manor and put the waders on, and headed up Slate Run. Once again the rust showed, and while I did briefly hook two fish I was late enough on the strike to have them shake the hook quickly.

I decided go down the bank to the Pine and fished the hole where Slate drops into the big crick. Using a Madam X and a # 16 bead head nymph as a dropper I had a nice fish rise to the Madam X. I raised my rod to set the hook, and felt the tug of a good fish.

The fish fought well, and I brought a nice brown that was easily 18 inches to my feet where I saw that I had completely whiffed on the hook set with the Madam X, but I did manage to put the dropper fly squarely into the fish's lower jaw. God took care of me!

I reached down and quickly shook the nymph loose. I watched the fish rest up by my feet for a few minutes and then reached down and lightly touched it's tail. He quickly shot back into the bigger water.

Pausing for a minute, I looked up stream on the Pine at the steep mountain on the left bank and the bright blue sky and beautiful Fall colors.

I couldn't help but think of my fly fishing friends who have passed away, as well as those whom I simply never have the time to visit with anymore? I'm not ashamed to say I got a little choked up, but it was a good choked up.

I'd like to close by saying that we all should cherish our friends and the time we had with them. But we must never give up on something that we enjoy simply because we no longer have those friends around with which to share the moments.

When the moments happen, they see them.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Amen, brother!

I feel that same thing coming on as I approach my mid-50s. I rarely go fishing by myself anymore. I feel more enjoyment and motivation going with a buddy or two.

Great stuff Tim. Thanks.

Great post! We have been going to Penns Creek since 8th grade. We are down to 4 who regularly go. Now its 3. One of the foursome just contacted lung cancer and was gone within a few weeks of diagnosis. He was 52. I still have his texts about missing the spring trip and his hopes for a fall one. At his viewing I was amazed at how his family reacted to us about his annual trips and how important they were to him. There is something about fishing and the outdoors that brings about such strong emotions. The rush you sometimes get must be more powerful than any high you can get. So find the time, keep traditions alive, and spend time with the ones you care about.

Tim,
You get it.
Best post on PAFF in awhile.

I love The Pine. Chaz once said to me "who cares if its stocked, if you dont enjoy fishing Pine you dont get what fly-fishing is about."
He was right.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reminder, Tim.

Tim,

Thanks for sharing your story. I can relate to the situation. My father and his buddy began fishing Kettle Creek in the late 60s/early 70s. At age 10 I had enough fly fishing ability that I was brought along for the first time. Thru my teens there were about 7 adults and a few kids who would go for a week in June. By about 1990, the crew numbered 3. People left for various reasons: family, work, other hobbies to pursue.

About 7-8 years ago I tried to organize a reunion trip since the old timers were now in their 70s and it had been 25 years since I had seen some of them. How great it would have been to rekindle those days gone by and tell stories and laugh. For me those were the guys that shaped my fly fishing world and taught me so much.

Unfortunately none of them were interested or able to return and now 2 of them have passed. When you are young, its about catching fish. As you get older, it’s more about being there with your friends and family. Someday it will be too late.

So very true! I missed the last Jam, I won't,the good lord willin , miss the next one.I just hope the Moose ,F
Farmer Dave , Tony , And Norm are there. GG

Good stuff, Tim....

Thanks for the gentle reminder of what we should all be doing ... Thanks Tim.

Thank you for that very thoughtful write and the reminder of what is important in our lives. I missed my annual fishing trip in NC PA with my brother and nephews this year for work related issues. That won't happen next year.

I enjoyed your story very much.

Don

Tim, I don't know you and have met you but through those words above I somehow feel like now I do!

Thank you for putting our passion in the proper light!

Well said Tim. Time is fleeting and we all need a little friendly reminder sometimes. I lost my best hunting buddy 2 years ago and lost the desire to hunt. We had that kind of relationship where we pushed each other to do more and see more that we would likely have done alone. I had a little pep talk with myself this summer and picked the longbow and have been out almost every day over the last 2 weeks. On Saturday, I hiked 3 miles in to our favorite hunting spot for the 1st time since his passing. It too was an emotional experience.

Good stuff Tim. I got a little teary-eyed reading that.

So true though. For me, a nice day on the water can evoke of sense of calm and serenity and recollection of good memories that are triggered by simple things like the beautiful scenery or simply catching a fish.

I always try to stop and look around as much as I can these days. I take nothing for granted. I guess age and wisdom helps you realize that much more.

Nice TR write up!
Thanks for the reminder of what's important.

Nice story about a beautiful area Tim!

I learned to fly fish on Kettle and Pine creeks in the '80's.
And always had a great time there

However, I was soon bitten by the wild trout bug. And started spending most of my time on the central pa limestoners.
And rarely get up there now

This past weekend, the little lady wanted to go somewhere to do some leaf peeping. And we decided to go up to Pine creek, booking an overnight at the slate run hotel.

First up, I made the obligatory stop at the slate run tackle shop.
Where I had the chance to chat and catch up on things with Tom Finkbiner. What a great person he is!

The weather and fall foilage were outstanding
We just drove around the canyon, stopping at all the overlooks. And hiking some of the trails
Also, spent some time in Wellsboro - and Mansfield, where my wife went to college.

And even though I had my gear with me, I never even fished.
Just really enjoyed riding around and reminiscing.

Think I'm gonna make a point of going back up there next year.
And maybe actually wetting a line again!

Back