Yeti can cooler

C

Canoetripper

I am very impressed with how well it works at keeping canned beverages cold.

I am unimpressed with how well my Yeti coffee cup keeps my coffee hot.

I am teetering towards disappointment in the price/performance in my Yeti cooler compared to my older(30 years) Gott and Rubbermaid coolers.

I put a 20 lb. block of ice in each yesterday(Friday). I am really going to be disappointed if the Yeti doesn't significantly rise to the top. They are expensive coolers.

When I go somewhere where I can't find a $2 bag of ice for a week or two, I might think about a Yeti or equivalent, but I just don't get the concept for a day trip or weekend except as status symbol. Not to mention the capacity is severely compromised for the same exterior dimensions.

That being said...

If you have regular coolers, you can improve the performance dramatically for peanuts and a little work.

Most regular coolers have NO insulation in the lid. Drill several small holes into the open channels on the inside of the lid and fill with the channels with spray foam insulation like you find at Home Depot. Plug the holes with small plastic push in plugs.

You'll be SURPRISED how much longer that $2 bag of ice lasts... ;-)

Both of my Gotts and my Rubbermaid have re-freezable packs that I can screw into the lids of my coolers, and do a good job.

I spend a lot of 4 day weekends in the Poconos in a primitive cabin with no plumbing or electricity.

The porta potty/outhouse works just fine. I have upgraded my weekends with a Sears Craftsman portable generator for when I really/need want electricity.

I have propane for heat and cooking, and a new Coleman 4 in 1 cooking system which is also propane.

I want that primitive cabin to always smell like food, which is why I bought the Sears Craftsman generator for my crock pot to smell like stew meat, potato, onion, cabbage, green beans, keilbasa, etc.

I know that all of those Crock Pot aromas will interest hungry animals, but hopefully, the lingering beer/cigar breath and farts will deter them.

I am rally looking forward to cooking with my Coleman 4 in 1 propane system.

Canoetripper wrote:

I know that all of those Crock Pot aromas will interest hungry animals, but hopefully, the lingering beer/cigar breath and farts will deter them.

:lol:

Back