Yellow Breeches in the morning

YorkFlyGuy

YorkFlyGuy

Clearly the fishing would be better at night in the Breeches with the end of the white flies and hexes. however, I can't usually get out that late on the water. Amy pointers for fishing it in the am?

There are some recent reports on YB in the Stream Reports forum.

There are likely some tricos to be found and the typical terrestrials would be my likely go-to fly for YB this time of year.

YorkFlyGuy wrote:
Clearly the fishing would be better at night in the Breeches with the end of the white flies and hexes. however, I can't usually get out that late on the water. Amy pointers for fishing it in the am?

Fished Tuesday morning from 6:30 to 10:30. Lots of trico action from about 8 to 9:30 Fish were everywhere from below the dam at Allenberry down through the flat water. After that some decent action on wooly buggers. Water temp was 65 degrees. My success rate was not good but the fish were there and willing.

Try some tricos until around 9am. Then try a fire ant, you'll be amazed. Works so much better than the usual beetles and black ant patterns.

BREECHESANGLER wrote:
Try some tricos until around 9am. Then try a fire ant, you'll be amazed. Works so much better than the usual beetles and black ant patterns.

Could you describe your fire ant pattern?
Size? Materials?

Troutbert, for my fire ant patterns I like a dry fly hook in sizes 16-22. Use an amber colored dry fly dubbing(you could blend in some more orange or hot orange dubbing to lighten it up) and make sure you make a prominent "ball" of dubbing in the back and in the front, like a normal ant pattern. And I like to use a cream or gray colored hackle for the legs. I usually start off with a size 16 or 18 and then work my way down to a size 20 or 22, it all depends if the fish are refusing them. But like I said in the earlier post, they work wonders especially if you are fishing in more heavily pressured waters, like the Breeches for example, where the fish are used to seeing the same old black ants and beetles day in and day out during the summer months. Also, I like to apply some Orvis Hy-Flote Dust to keep it afloat and to give it more of a "shiny" and realistic look.

Back