Yellow Breeches Help

jstine412

jstine412

Hey Im not sure if you want this posted under beginner but since im still a beginner I wanted to get some help on the breeches. I fished my first time, well fly fishing, and was at McCormick Park and no luck using a couple different types of nymphs and tried a BWO.. I don't know if i wasn't getting the nymphs down enough. Any help or tech. so next time out when the creeks come back down I don't strike out.. Thanks

jstine412 wrote:
Hey Im not sure if you want this posted under beginner but since im still a beginner I wanted to get some help on the breeches. I fished my first time, well fly fishing, and was at McCormick Park and no luck using a couple different types of nymphs and tried a BWO.. I don't know if i wasn't getting the nymphs down enough. Any help or tech. so next time out when the creeks come back down I don't strike out.. Thanks

Try fishing upstream with nymphs using an indicator.

Set the indicator 1.5 - 2X the water depth.

Keep adding a small split shot or sink putty a foot or so above the fly, until you begin to touch bottom.

Keep casting upstream and allow the indy drift back towards you, while taking up the slack.

Drift until the indy begins to drag and recast.

The most important thing is for your fly to drift naturally, without drag.

As you move, adjust your rig (depth and weight) to keep your fly near the bottom.

Good luck.

Afish provides some very good info there and i'd follow what he says , one thing i'd like to add is to fish the stream farther up , the area around the Huntsdale hatchery is always good 2 me. There is alot of stream there explore!!!!!

Thanks I will try that next outing

Back