Yellow Breeches / Children's Lake drawdown

Thanks Afish.

This project has been on the front burner for awhile and CVTU has monitored it closely. There have been issues with Children's Lake for awhile and the scope of the repairs have broadened. The main concern, of course, is protecting The Run.
Will keep you informed.

I bet there is some lunker trout at the bottom of that pond - are adults allowed to fish it from a boat or tube, or just kids ?

geebee wrote:
I bet there is some lunker trout at the bottom of that pond - are adults allowed to fish it from a boat or tube, or just kids ?

Unfortunately, Childrens Lake does not hold trout over in any significant sense. It's a put-and-take management project. Boats are allowed on the lake and adults can fish it. Tubes aren't practical because most of the lake is literally too shallow.

With a steady supply of ice cold water, why doesn't Childrens Lake have a viable trout population?
Answering this question has not been easy. The lake was surveyed a few years ago with poor results. Studies continue. There are theories.

Dredged out, might be better. It's awfully shallow

Dave_W wrote:

With a steady supply of ice cold water, why doesn't Childrens Lake have a viable trout population.

Thanks Dave, good to know.

I guess its like some of the tribs to the firehole in Yellowstone - too cold for aquatic bugs etc ?

What are the theories?

I mean the run is pretty shallow too. Then again you guys have put work into it. I would tend to think some fish would hold over in the lake better than in the run.
I have my theories also but I'm more interested in others.

I'll take a guess...... It holds a strong class B wild trout population therefore the PFBC will ignore it because recognizing it might conflict with stocking and harvest mindset. Did I win?

krayfish2 wrote:
I'll take a guess...... It holds a strong class B wild trout population therefore the PFBC will ignore it because recognizing it might conflict with stocking and harvest mindset. Did I win?
I think you won.

Even just 15 years ago the lake held a lot of trout all year. Along with carp and some warm water species, there was always something interesting to look out for. It was a fun stop before or after hitting the Breeches.

Respiration of the abundant aquatic plant growth, and limited mixing of water and air are probably a big contributor (detractor). Not to mention the constant onslaught of stocking/harvest. Same as on Big Spring below the ff area and above the mill.

There's no shortage of food in Children's Lake (pond). It's loaded with scuds, cressbugs, and midges.

I was thinking over harvest from birds and anglers.

Respiration of the abundant aquatic plant growth, and limited mixing of water and air are probably a big contributor (detractor). Not to mention the constant onslaught of stocking/harvest. Same as on Big Spring below the ff area and above the mill.

There's no shortage of food in Children's Lake (pond). It's loaded with scuds, cressbugs, and midges.

Also lack of current for redds. Brook trout are capable of spawning over springs in lakes/ponds though.

Low dissolved oxygen content coupled with very high nitrate and nitrite levels.

Back