Yellow Breeches access question....

B

blitzinstripes

I know that the Yellow Breeches is a scenic water trail. Does that qualify it for the list of navigable waterways (wading and access permitted within the historical flood plain)?

Specifically I'm wondering about access between Messiah College and SR 4035, N York Rd. I float this section usually every summer with my family (tubing) and it s a very beautiful and popular float from Messiah down to Simpson or McCormick parks. I've never fished this section but between Gilbert Rd down to Bishop Rd and SR 4035 there is somewhat of a "remote" 😁 area that is stunning and has some great looking water. Good depth and flow, nice structure, even in the low flows of summer. The west bank appears to be partially owned by Messiah College. I may have found a somewhat close by parking location. I believe Messiah would allow access as they permit public parking and boat launching at the covered bridge. I'm wondering if anyone is more intimately familiar with this stretch? I've actually never seen anyone fishing it (wading or bank) during summer floats. Only the occasional kayaker with a spinning rod. TYIA

Last edited:
This is semi private water. Next time you float down in the summer you'll see the signs that I posted on the creek that we only want fly fishing only with catch and release fishing permitted. The owner of a house on old york road passed away that granted us fishing through his property but that ended in January when the house was sold We dont fish it in the summer due to warmer water temps. It has a great populaton of wild browns.

This is semi private water. Next time you float down in the summer you'll see the signs that I posted on the creek that we only want fly fishing only with catch and release fishing permitted. The owner of a house on old york road passed away that granted us fishing through his property but that ended in January when the house was sold We dont fish it in the summer due to warmer water temps. It has a great populaton of wild browns.
Thank you. I take it you are one of several landowners there? I stop trout fishing entirely as the water warms and do a little bass and catfish fishing. Is there any foot/ wading access into this area? I found an out of the way back corner of a parking lot on Messiah college that seems like it would get me close and they also appear to own some of the property as you work downstream. Glad to hear it has a good wild trout population.

I know that the Yellow Breeches is a scenic water trail. Does that qualify it for the list of navigable waterways (wading and access permitted within the historical flood plain)?

I don't know if the Yellow Breeches is a navigable waterway or not.

But navigable waterway status does not provide a right of access within the historical floodplain. It provides a right of access between the annual mean high water marks. Which closely correlates to from top of bank to top of bank, i.e. within the channel. If the land is posted you cannot go outside the channel onto the floodplain.

Messiah College (Messiah University as of a few years ago) has property on both sides of the creek... York County and Cumberland County. I've fished upstream/downstream of the covered bridge several times, while waiting for my kids to finish school for fall or spring break. That was before everyone went nuts over covid and made the campus a faculty/students only situation. There used to be no issues parking near the tennis courts, and I've seen kayaks and canoes putting in/taking out at the bridge. Since I had "Messiah Parent" stickers on my window, I'd enter the parking lot from campus, crossing the bridge. The ("Starry Field") parking lot access on the uphill may be gated. If there's a soccer game or graduation happening, it's best to avoid it altogether. Campus Security may take issue if an 8-canoe capacity trailer is parked there, but I haven't gotten in any trouble rigging up at the back of an SUV or minivan.
When the water is warm and low, you'll get nothing but bluegills. Spring and Fall will get some trout at the campus. Trout Run comes into the creek just above the covered bridge and a couple of my boys had some enjoyable outings fishing with a couple of the professors.
At the downstream end, there's a sewage treatment plant where you might find some rather large carp in the creek. I don't know how far it is, but I know there's a public park closer to Bowmansdale (Upper or Lower Allen?). There might be put-in/take-out at the park.
Farther down in Lisburn(?) there's a very straight stretch along a park, soccer fields, and a golf driving range. Not what I'd call remote, but it might be slow and deep enough for a float.
There's nothing wrong with checking with a landowner ahead of time about access. The worst that can happen is they say no. Gently using the creek and picking up trash on your way out, might keep you out of trouble too.
Regards.

Who are “we?”, as in “we only want fly fishing only with catch and release fishing permitted.”

Who are “we?”, as in “we only want fly fishing only with catch and release fishing permitted.”
I assume a private landowner can dictate as such? There is a private landowner on Elk Creek in Erie that has the same stipulations. His signs say fly-fishing only, catch and release by courtesy of the landowner. I've heard some guys complain, but isn't is his land, his rules?

The one and only time I ventured up the dirt road along Stony Creek, there were several home-made signs stating (words to the effect) THIS IS OUR PROPERTY AND WE ONLY FISH CATCH-AND-RELEASE SINCE WE STOCK THE CREEK. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT FISHING ON THE WATER ALONG OUR PROPERTY!
I have no issues honoring a landowner's signage when they are the actual landowner.

There were also homemade signs (and stink-eyes from people in their yards) that said 15 MPH was the absolute maximum speed to keep from raising dust on the road, but that's another topic entirely.

Back