Year Round Trout Lakes - trout question

geebee

geebee

Hi Guys,

trawling through the PFBC and various other local fishing websites i don't see any reference to whether the trout stocked are triploid (sterile) or fertile and able (possibly to reproduce).

are all trout stocked in all lakes triploid ?

Thanks

Mark.

As far as I know the trout stocked by PFBC are fully able to reproduce anywhere.

kinda OT, but are the wild rainbow populations in pa generally fall spawners, spring spawners, or doe it vary widely based on how recently the strain got introduced?

Some are fall spawners and and some are winter spawners, mean the time between Jan. 1 and March 20. As far as I know no RB's spawn during the spring.

mikesl wrote:
kinda OT, but are the wild rainbow populations in pa generally fall spawners, spring spawners, or doe it vary widely based on how recently the strain got introduced?

They're mostly spring spawners for the most part (at least in my neck of the woods) - meaning very early in the year. There are fall spawners too, esp where hatchery fish have taken hold in a new wild population.

Yeah, I agree with Chaz: no triploid fish in PA as far as I know.

Perhaps there are some clubs stocking them on a very limited basis. I think triploid fish are more common out West.

Thanks guys, so that would mean that those ponds with streams creeks etc flowing in should see a run of spawning bows in the spring right ?

i was looking at those year round lakes in SE PA with in flows, and thinking of fishing the shore - i'm going to guess they will spawn during the 3/1 to 3/29 closed season, so the tribs will be out but the fish should school up beforehand...

I doubt if you will have much luck with that. Most lakes in southeast PA get very warm in the summer, and few trout stocked in the spring survive the summer.

Just because some lakes are open to fishing for trout year around does not mean that significant numbers of trout are present year around. In most cases, they aren't.

Maybe you can fish a lake that is stocked in the fall and/or winter and find some trout.

Back