Wyoming or Montana Trip 2019

Riverton

Riverton

I want to put a trip together for late summer of next year with my 19 year old son. Any thoughts, suggestions or recommendations on a location in Wyoming or Montana? I have done some research and spoke with a guide in the Lander, Wyoming area which along with the Wind River sounds good but it's a lot of time and money to make a mistake. I don't care about the name of the water we fish I just want to get him on fish and not be crowded.

The tri-Basin divide area (Pinedale) it’s on the western side of the winds on the Green and New Fork rivers.

It’s great , an hour or two from Jackson with no crowds. You can catch the WY Cutthroat Slam in a weeks time. That would be something very memorable.

You can google up info on it. I have had the fortune to fish all over the west and I think of it often and with great fondness. I also would recommend Yellowstone area to for any fly fisherman.

I've never fished in WY. However, I have been going to MT every summer for the past 8 years.

MT can be tough in late summer due to water temp and dependent on the snowpack. However, the terrestrial fishing can be great. I've also had some REALLY good streamer fishing in the early AM.

My father took me to the Slide Inn (Cameron MT) for my high school graduation gift in 2010 and I've gone back every year since.

Couple things I love about the Slide Inn. Their accommodations are perfect if you want to keep it simple. The cabins offer showers/full kitchens/frig/two double beds. The cabins sit right along the upper Madison River. You can walk right out your back door and start fishing. It's also about 30 mins from the West Yellowstone entrance. Galloup has an AWESOME fly shop right on the property. The cabins are anywhere from $140-250 a night. There is more than enough water to fish within walking distance from the cabins, but also a lot of water within an hour drive.

The Slide is about an hour from Ashton ID. So you could make a day trip down there to fish the Henry's Fork. The Ruby River is another good one that's a drivable distance.

I did a guided trip on the Big Hole last year in August and experienced the best trico hatch I have ever seen! Tons of fish looking up and willing to eat.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions.

I suggest locating in or near West Yellowstone, Montana. You and he can visit the Park for some sightseeing. You will then be close enough to fish Wyoming, Montana and Idaho. In any event you should plan to start your trip after June as much of that area is pretty unfishable until after the snowmelt subsides. Even in July the Park offers plenty of fishable water that won’t be crowded. If you can afford it try to do a float trip in either the Madison, Yellowstone or Henry’s Fork. Enjoy the time with your son.

My vote would be either the West Yellowstone area, or the Missoula area.

For Yellowstone, I'd spring for a float trip early on with Blue Ribbon Flies (or a couple of other shops). It's a good way to get the lay of the land, and it's a BLAST. You can then hit the park and a bunch of other steams. The fish in the park are tough though, They see a lot.

For Missoula, you can fish Rock Creek, Clark's Fork, Bitterroot, or the Selway. All are easy access on public land. Look at renting a cabin on VRBO in one of the little towns south of town on the Bitterroot.

Good luck!

Back