WTB: Used 4-5 wt reel

drakeking412

drakeking412

My girlfriend is starting to get more serious about fly fishing and seeing as she has two rods of her own now it's time for her first reel. I'm looking for something that isn't going to break the bank as she won't use it more than once a week but it also has to be somewhat decent as we'll be fishing Montana this year in July and we do a decent amount of travel fishing in general. I'd also like a sealed drag of some form, if she wants to click pawl one day later that's fine.

I'd also like a spare spool with it but don't want to break the bank again as that's just me being lazy.... She's going to be using it on a 8'6" 5wt TFO Pro II and a 10' 3wt and I'd like to load a spool with WF and the other with a level line because I don't feel like tying knots all day. Really though price is king so I might end up tying knots. Any help is greatly appreciated thank you so much!!

Can’t beat the Lamson liquids for price and their spare spools.

WNFC_prez wrote:
Can’t beat the Lamson liquids for price and their spare spools.

^ Definitely a good balance of quality, price, and established company.

Although not a 'high end piece', my favorite reel as of late has become an Okuma SLV 4/5. Reels and spare spools are readily available and can be had pretty affordably. A reel will run you about $50 - spare spools run about $35-40.

It's lightweight and smooth with good build quality. Price point won't make it hurt too much when (not if . . .) I bounce it off a rock.

I usually have 2 reels (one on the rod, one backup) and 4 spools in the car all the time and I use it across my my entire 3-5 wt rod range. Two of those rods are a 10' 3wt Fenwick Aethos and a 7'9" 3wt TFO Finesse.

drakeking412 wrote:
My girlfriend is starting to get more serious about fly fishing and seeing as she has two rods of her own now it's time for her first reel. I'm looking for something that isn't going to break the bank as she won't use it more than once a week but it also has to be somewhat decent as we'll be fishing Montana this year in July and we do a decent amount of travel fishing in general. I'd also like a sealed drag of some form, if she wants to click pawl one day later that's fine.

I'd also like a spare spool with it but don't want to break the bank again as that's just me being lazy.... She's going to be using it on a 8'6" 5wt TFO Pro II and a 10' 3wt and I'd like to load a spool with WF and the other with a level line because I don't feel like tying knots all day. Really though price is king so I might end up tying knots. Any help is greatly appreciated thank you so much!!

I have an Orvis Hydros II i might be interested in selling.

I want to thank everyone for responding, a bunch of you gave very generous offers and even some offered to send her one for free.

I've decided to take a different route and just start her on one of my reels that I know is good and upgrade the one she gets so wallet hurts a little more but everyone's happy in the end.

Thanks again!

Back