WTB: Richardson Box

B

Billems

I'm looking for a three tray Richardson Box at a reasonable price. A Joe Humphries model would be a plus.
I sold mine last year, and it was a mistake.

I'm looking for a three tray Richardson Box at a reasonable price. A Joe Humphries model would be a plus.
I sold mine last year, and it was a mistake.
I have one but its not the joe humphreys its the real deal aircraft aluminum hit me up maybe we can work something out

Last edited:
Thanks for your offer. A four-tray would be too much for this old guy with bum shoulders. A three tray would be do-able.

Yes. But it's a 14 month wait.

To the OP. Deal with the 14 month wait and buy it. They won't be making these forever and with inflation and over time you will never lose selling it afterwards. I thought about buying one even at the price but cannot bring myself to use one walking rivers and streams the way I fish. They are worth the money as they are hand crafted. I might buy one to put on the shelf. It is probably a good investment.

Falcon, I have thought about the same thing. I wish there were better pics and I could see one in person before I ordered. Probably a good investment.
I use a Goertzen and it fits 4 slim boxes. Add another box or two in my waders and I have enough flies for a week. It's much lighter and easier to use but the Richardson still calls to me.

First off, I have a hard time believing the wait is 14 months, but that’s me.

Second, I have a few suggestions (OK, a lot ;) )for anyone contemplating ordering a Richardson box based on past experience and common sense:
  • First, spend an INORDINATE amount of time thinking it through, like how many trays will you need, what kind of trays, where you will put what and how you will organize it. I know there are many folks that use a Richardson in conjunction with a vest, but if you are like me and want to lose the vest, figure out where you will store stuff that doesn’t work in the box.
  • If you get dividers for dry fly trays, get the removable divider option. This way IF you want to convert a dry fly tray to something else, it’s a breeze.
  • Even though Richardson doesn’t recommend it, resist the urge to get foam in the lids of trays with dividers thinking you can use it for flies. Flies in foam attached to the lid of a tray with dividers will snag flies in the compartments and they will go flying off when you open the lid. I had a Richardson knock-off set up this way and that’s how I learned it doesn’t work.
  • Resist the urge to get the floatant holder unless you are positive you will NEVER switch brands or the brands you prefer will never change the size of the container they come in.
  • While the attached magnifying glass is cool, there are better ways to magnify what you are looking at and threading a fly on your tippet is much more awkward than looking straight ahead with a hat brim magnifier.
  • The Zelco or Flex light holder looks slick but again, there are much better and smaller LED lights out there and I’m not sure the Zelco or Flex Lights are still available. Not to mention goose-neck lights sticking out are just snags waiting to happen.
  • The leader pouch is another interesting option but you lose fly storage space and it only has three pockets. I just stash my leaders under one of the interchangeable lift out foam inserts.
  • Do not buy the 3 felt nymph pads unless you use barbless hooks exclusively. You will never get the hooks out. I made my own nymph pads from sheet craft foam the same size that are better for many reasons. Also, if you glue two sheets of craft foam together, you can put nymphs on both sides.
  • I have never seen a tippet dispenser that didn’t become obsolete or superfluous because the manufacturer changed spool sizes. Unless you are willing to wind your favorite brand on spools you saved because they fit; avoid tippet dispensers!!!
  • I have a Fly Trap that is a long discontinued aluminum box for holding used flies until they dry out attached to the front of my Richardson Box. Putting wet flies back in the Richardson box is just inviting rust. I suggest doing something similar with your box as it’s a convenient spot to let flies dry out versus getting the optional suede pouch.
Obviously, folks with the options I don’t like have them because they do so YMMV. I'm just trying to enlighten you to possible pitfalls because a Richardson Box has SO MANY options to choose from versus chest packs or other chest fly boxes. When you order, it's not a cookie cutter choice so you need to put some thought into it before pulling the trigger.

That’s what I did and I'm happy to report I have zero regrets on what I chose after a few decades of use.

Falcon, I have thought about the same thing. I wish there were better pics and I could see one in person before I ordered. Probably a good investment.
I use a Goertzen and it fits 4 slim boxes. Add another box or two in my waders and I have enough flies for a week. It's much lighter and easier to use but the Richardson still calls to me.
You might try calling the Flyfisher's Paradise shop. They may have a Richardson fly box in their display case for you to check out. If not, maybe they can suggest a place where you can see one. I would bet that Steve or someone else from the shop uses one and can show it to you.

Next time I go in I'll ask. I almost always stop in to say hello and but something when I'm in the area. I like to support them and find the conversation good as well.

Next time I go in I'll ask. I almost always stop in to say hello and but something when I'm in the area. I like to support them and find the conversation good as well.
I just corresponded with them. The do have a three-tray Humprheys that is tempting. Big cash, however. Still hoping to find used.

• Even though Richardson doesn’t recommend it, resist the urge to get foam in the lids of trays with dividers thinking you can use it for flies. Flies in foam attached to the lid of a tray with dividers will snag flies in the compartments and they will go flying off when you open the lid. I had a Richardson knock-off set up this way and that’s how I learned it doesn’t work.
  • Resist the urge to get the floatant holder unless you are positive you will NEVER switch brands or the brands you prefer will never change the size of the container they come in.
- I got C&F slit foam all through mine, including the lid, and have no issues with that approach. There are, however, no compartments on the bottom to snag on. C&F foam lid and bottom both.

- I have both changed brands, and had the brand I use change sizes of the container, and it isn't a big deal. The loop is very bendy. I have re-sized mine at least twice with pliers. It's true you don't want to be doing that on a daily basis, so you want to pick one and stick with it fairly long term. Don't use gink one week and switch to something else next week, and back the next. But altering it every couple of years isn't that bad.

Great write-up Bamboozle! I agree with all you points. I don’t use my chest box much these days but when I did I always combined it with a lanyard for tippet, floatant, nippers, etc. Worked well

- I got C&F slit foam all through mine, including the lid, and have no issues with that approach. There are, however, no compartments on the bottom to snag on. C&F foam lid and bottom both...
Have you ever explored the foam insert options available from Wheatley?

Lots of options and pad sizes.

Have you ever explored the foam insert options available from Wheatley?
No I have not. I got the foam thing throughout when I bought it. Quickly scraped out the foam that came with it and bought a bunch of C&F slit foam of various sizes, cut out the rows, and glued em down with superglue. I did a rather crappy glue job but it works. Been using it for almost 20 years like that, never needed to change.

Back