WTB: Partridge K3A Hooks

Kevin82

Kevin82

Hello,
Im hoping someone could help me out, I've been reading Gary LaFountaines book "Caddisflies". There is a pattern in there for a dancing caddis that uses a Swedish Dry Fly hook, with the research I did, it is a Partridge K3A. My problem is, I cant find anywhere that has them for sale. I might try calling the Partriridge company, but was hoping someone here might have a few that they be willing to part with. If you do please either message me here or e-mail gonefishin82@yahoo.com
Thanks, Kevin

Kevin, I took a look at the Partridge website. I, too could not find those hooks. I would surmise that they are long out of production.
Hopefully, someone here can satisfy your request.
Best of luck to you!

Yea, I checked their website too.
A forum member did help me out, dc410(thank you dc410), he told me about Gamakatsu C16-B, and they look like they will work, I ordered some size 12 and 16's, they were out of 14's.

Right on, I ordered from Fly Shack.

Super! Glad to hear that someone was able to assist and that you were able to find them.

Question for [B]Kevin82[/B]

A friend gave me fly tying equipment that belonged to had dad. One of the items was a Thompson Model “A” Fly Tyer Vise, I already had one and a Thompson Bobbin Needle (See Picture 1) and some material. One of the items was 3 or 4 packets of Gamakatsu C-16B hooks and I saw on this post “Partridge K3A Hooks” could be used to tie a La Fontaine “Dancing Caddis” and I did a internet search to find a video of tying the Dancing Caddis but came up with just very little instructions. I found a bunch of video of tying it on long shank dry fly hook but none using either the Partridge K3A hook or a Gamakatsu C-16B hook.
Picture 1
Picture 2

Now after reading about the dancing caddis I know that it is tied with hook up but my question is where is the deer hair tied and where is the hackle tied on?

See pictures gamakstsu-c-16b-hook-01 & gamakstsu-c-16b-hook-02 and please let me know if the Deer Hear & Hackle goes on two different plains of the hook or both at the top of the hook just in back on the eye.
Picture 02
Gamakstsu c 16b hook 01

Picture 3
Gamakstsu c 16b hook 02

Thank you

Question for [B]Kevin82[/B]

A friend gave me fly tying equipment that belonged to had dad. One of the items was a Thompson Model “A” Fly Tyer Vise, I already had one and a Thompson Bobbin Needle (See Picture 1) and some material. One of the items was 3 or 4 packets of Gamakatsu C-16B hooks and I saw on this post “Partridge K3A Hooks” could be used to tie a La Fontaine “Dancing Caddis” and I did a internet search to find a video of tying the Dancing Caddis but came up with just very little instructions. I found a bunch of video of tying it on long shank dry fly hook but none using either the Partridge K3A hook or a Gamakatsu C-16B hook.
Picture 1
View attachment 1641224783
Now after reading about the dancing caddis I know that it is tied with hook up but my question is where is the deer hair tied and where is the hackle tied on?

See pictures gamakstsu-c-16b-hook-01 & gamakstsu-c-16b-hook-02 and please let me know if the Deer Hear & Hackle goes on two different plains of the hook or both at the top of the hook just in back on the eye.
Picture 02
View attachment 1641224779
Picture 3
View attachment 1641224784
Thank you
The answer is in pic #2 the second section of the hook where you have deer hair designated, the hackle is also tie in on that section. The section closest to the eye is finished off with a little dubbing and whip finished.

The Dancing caddis using the Swedish dry fly hooks was very unreliable for hooking fish. You can tie the fly with a straight shank hooks like below. Good luck.

The answer is in pic #2 the second section of the hook where you have deer hair designated, the hackle is also tie in on that section. The section closest to the eye is finished off with a little dubbing and whip finished.

The Dancing caddis using the Swedish dry fly hooks was very unreliable for hooking fish. You can tie the fly with a straight shank hooks like below. Good luck.
Thank you.

Back