WOW................... Old South Bend 290

littlejuniata

littlejuniata

$456.00 dollars on that auction place

Damn I hope thats not the one I gave Pad :-D Athough the shape that was in untill he restored it, couldn't have been worth much!

PaulG

Paul, it probably fishes just as well though, they are neat old rods! I remember when South Bend was switching to glass rods, Dave Cook was selling 290s at half price, $12.50

PaulG wrote:
Damn I hope thats not the one I gave Pad :-D Athough the shape that was in untill he restored it, couldn't have been worth much!

PaulG

I wouldn't part with that rod for ten times as much! I love fishing with it. It's not just that it fishes great (anyone that wants a bamboo rod that casts a line with a lot of power and still feels sweet... grab one of these rods. But I think $456.00 is a bit steep. I remember a couple years ago we were talking about being able to find those rods for around $250.

I think I had one of those once. I think I picked it up in about the late 70s or early 80s. I found it in a bargain bin in a sporting goods shop in Clarion. The name of the store slips my mind right now but the downstairs was all sporting goods. It eventually went out of business. They had gone through and cleaned the place up somewhat, and stuffed a bunch of old rods they had laying around in a garbage can to sell at discount prices. It was the only cane rod in the shop, so I decided to rescue it from all that plastic. I think I paid $7.50 and used it for a few years. My guess is it had been brought there for repair and the person never came back and claimed it, because it didn't look new (and they did sell rod repair stuff). The windings were already lose. It could be that it was new but had been lost behind some boxes in the basement for a long time. I’m not positive it was a 290. All I remember it was a 7.5 foot South Bend, and was a light weight rod. Can’t remember if it was 2 piece or 3. Anyway, in about 1985 I gave it to a friend in Connecticut in exchange for some work he did. I kinda hated to see it go, but he sure liked that rod.

Back