woven flies

daman1277

daman1277

I starting to venture into tying woven flies. Any suggestions on patterns I can tie for use around here?

just about any nymph abdomen can be woven, dark on top light on bottom works well. loum and beadhead2 on here both do alot of weaving you could send them a pm and see what they do.

oliver edwards does some basic polish woven nymphs on his essential patterns DVD's.

i've tried it and i recommend you try the technique on larger hooks first with old floss, then work down to smaller.

geebee wrote:
i've tried it and i recommend you try the technique on larger hooks first with old floss, then work down to smaller.

That is good advice Geebee. It is not difficult once you get into a rhythm, but trying to do that on a small hook or a complex pattern can be frustrating.

The bi-color effect looks great on flies. Below is my "tip" for doing it.

Attachments

• Sharpies.jpg
    Sharpies.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 2
Haha, what a great "tip", wait you're serious aren't you?

Toril Korvu sp? a lady fly tier from the Netherlands , ties a woven body cicada that looks like the real thing and itt doesn't look too hard to tie either......TIGHT LINES!!!!!

lv2nymph wrote:
Haha, what a great "tip", wait you're serious aren't you?

Very serious. I've had guys tell me how awesome my woven flies look. (true story).

beautiful flyes. ;-)

my problem with woven flies is that they are so bulky and generally bugs aren't.

it also sucks when you snag em on the bottom due to the time and cost of the lead etc.

imho the ziploc bag over dubbing ribbed by thread then epoxied or quill bodied nymphs are going to give you just as realistic segmented bodies for half the effort.

its definately an art though and people do like to see them in your box and figure out how you tyed em.

This is a woven fly I like to tie. I call it the "Kryptonite Caddis".

Attachments

• CSC_0109.JPG
    CSC_0109.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 2
Back