World Record Brown Trout

UncleShorty

UncleShorty

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/world-record-brown-trout-caught-182418105.html

I'm not sure this fish should be classified as wild. It seems like it got so large by eating food from a salmon farm.

Like Barry Bonds' "record" I think this one should have an asterisk...

Don’t you just hate that.

most record fish should have an asterisk then. When you start talking records, you aren't talking about a run of the mill whopper, you're talking about something truly exceptional. Exceptional fish come from exceptional situations.

I hear where you're coming from, but...

Suppose I put a brown trout in a pond then feed that fish all the pellets it can eat for a few years. I grow that fish to record size. Then I catch it on a rod and reel from my pond.

Should I claim the world record?

Seems to me what this guy did is just like hunting deer over bait.

You might "harvest" one but you didn't "hunt" one...

UncleShorty wrote:

Tell an Ohio deer hunter that and let me know how things go.

wildtrout2 wrote:
UncleShorty wrote:

Tell an Ohio deer hunter that and let me know how things go.

I live in Ohio, and I think Shorty has it about right. I can pretty much harvest a deer just about anytime I like. OR maybe I am just that good. I put bait out for the trail camera, but stop feeding them a month before the season opens.

A few year after moving to the farm, I was after this one big trophy buck all season long. I had a chance during bow season, but I blew it. He was within 30 yards, and I didn't get a shot off. So I held out for a second crack at him, passing up lots of deer including a young 8 point that spent 10 minutes under my tree stand. While waiting for the big one, I learned the patterns of this one herd of doe. It started out as 6 of them. By the end of gun season, it was down to 5. On the last day of muzzle loader season at about 2:30, I was watching TV and noticed it quit raining outside. I got up and told my wife I was going to go shoot a deer.

I returned to the house about 10 minutes later. Wife said, "I thought you were going hunting. "no... I said I was going to go shoot a deer.";-)

I haven't shot a deer ever since I started raising beef. I will likely hunt this fall, but to make it a true hunt, I will probably pass up a lot of deer. Not using bait, either.

In my opinion I don't think this slob should be recognized as a "world record" since it basically had excess food from the salmon farms washing right down it's gullet. How is this fish any different from a pet trout kept in a private pond and fed pellets for it's entire life. Then when it grew to gargantuan size someone pulled it out on a night crawler. What is the satisfaction there?

How is this fish any different from a pet trout kept in a private pond and fed pellets for it's entire life.

Because it was in public water and fed all its life..

Hey, I'm no record chaser, and don't bow at the feet of record breakers as if they are better than everyone. I am as impressed by a 12 incher in some step across stream as a 30 incher from Erie tribs, for instance. But most abnormally large fish come from some abnormally advantageous circumstance. They count. Records largely show the maximum capability of the species more than the glory of the angler. And this guy doesn't want publicity or to make a big deal of it. Good on him.

To follow FD's analogy on hunting. Growing your own deer and shooting it over bait is one thing. Not a fan of the food plot scene!
More farming than hunting. But a huge buck shot over a corn field is a little different. That buck grew large in an unnatural situation, sure. But the purpose of the situation wasn't to grow that buck. It counts. It's a record. And I'll still be in more awe of the somewhat smaller one shot in the deep woods that isn't a record.

That fishing in Twizel is not what you think. It's a big area and is highly regulated. It's "fair catch" imo. It's not like they are pellet fed on purpose .
https://fishingmag.co.nz/south-island/central-south-island-fish-and-game-region/twizel-canals/mackenzie-country-canals
FYI. GG
Aside: I got a ticket, speeding, in Twizel when a camera caught me going 10k over the limit,100kph. I paid it as I didn't want t be picked up, if and when I got back to New Zealand.

I thought I heard/read that Joe Humphreys big brown trout came from downstream of a chicken/slaughter house or something like that - can anyone confirm/reject this?

kbobb wrote:
I thought I heard/read that Joe Humphreys big brown trout came from downstream of a chicken/slaughter house or something like that - can anyone confirm/reject this?

I've heard several stories about that trout, but this is the first time I've heard that story. Where was this slaughter house supposed to be?

The most common explanation is that he caught the trout in what many flyfishers call the "Humphreys Hole" on Fishing Creek, just below the outlet flow of the Tylersville hatchery.

I believe that is true. There were two other very large trout caught below the hatchery around that time period. The common explanation is that big brood trout were washed out by a flood.

One of the other large trout can be seen at Uncle Joe's Woodshed, a store near Lock Haven. At least it used to be there. I haven't been in the store in recent years.

The state record brook trout was also caught just below the Tylersville hatchery. The guy created a midge pattern by wrapping some thread on a hook from an old sock!

In those days the PFBC hatcheries had a lot of trout escape. And some of the brood fish were real big. I saw a guy catch a 27 incher right next to the hatchery at Fishermans Paradise.

Now the PFBC hatcheries run the hatchery discharge water through extensive water quality treatment, including settling ponds and micro-filters. So, very few trout escape the PFBC hatcheries now. And the water coming out of the hatcheries is now much cleaner.

pcray1231 wrote:
How is this fish any different from a pet trout kept in a private pond and fed pellets for it's entire life.

Because it was in public water and fed all its life..

Hey, I'm no record chaser, and don't bow at the feet of record breakers as if they are better than everyone. I am as impressed by a 12 incher in some step across stream as a 30 incher from Erie tribs, for instance. But most abnormally large fish come from some abnormally advantageous circumstance. They count. Records largely show the maximum capability of the species more than the glory of the angler. And this guy doesn't want publicity or to make a big deal of it. Good on him.

To follow FD's analogy on hunting. Growing your own deer and shooting it over bait is one thing. Not a fan of the food plot scene!
More farming than hunting. But a huge buck shot over a corn field is a little different. That buck grew large in an unnatural situation, sure. But the purpose of the situation wasn't to grow that buck. It counts. It's a record. And I'll still be in more awe of the somewhat smaller one shot in the deep woods that isn't a record.

Yea, I don't have any "feed plots" unless corn and soybean count.;-)

I'm not sure which I like better, corn fed deer, or soybean fed deer. This year should be a combination of both. ;-)

I should lease out my woods, but I won't.

I like to hunt over natures food plot, a White Oak tree full of acorns. A few years back a hunter shot a giant Blackbear with a crossbow. Seems this Bear was a neighborhood pet that people were feeding. Still counts as a record officially but morally doesn't seem right.

Trout caught in open water that anyone can fish should count as a record.

I do not consider hunting agricultural fields baiting. Their purpose is not to ffed game. And as part of the habitat it is just like edge

To me baiting, as it's done in TX and other states, is putting food out for the sole purpose of feeding game. And that includes food plots.

In TX deer "hunting" consists of sitting in a heated blind waiting for the feeder to go off. That ain't huntin'. That's harvesting. And it's why I hunt in The Big Thicket where permanent blinds and baiting are prohibited.

Supplementary fed game or fish are human constructs, not naturally occuring and are not qualified records in my book...

Yea, I'm a cheapskate, so my deer feeder was a piece of PVC pipe with an elbow.

Yea, it is legal to bait deer in Ohio, but I only baited for the trail cam, and stopped filling it a month before the season opened. Of course by then, their patterns are established. But now that I think about it, I have never shot a deer within sight of the deer feeder. I usually got one before I made it that far. ;-)

https://www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-herald/news/300355156/massive-trout-caught-near-twizel-officially-breaks-world-record
It
s official. GG

Back