Work Project on The Run in Boiling Springs (Cont)

F

Fishidiot

Today, CVTU volunteers completed another section in a multi- phase habitat improvement project in The Run in Boiling Springs. If you've been following related topics, you'll recall some discussion here on PAFF regarding the parking lot project. The parking lot was finished some weeks ago. In the pic below, you can faintly see the line separating the permeable pavement under the car parking spots from the conventional pavement down the center lane.

The next pics depict the log vane deflector under construction and completed today. This was about 25 yards downstream from the AT footbridge and turned a fairly flat, featureless pool with a depth of about a foot, into a much deeper section with a nice plunge pool and better flow/oxygenation. Within minutes after we completed this, I saw a couple nice trout move up under the logs.
Thanks are due to the Bureau of Forestry for donating the logs and Pennsy Supply for the shot rock. Also: PFBC, Shane Gilbert, and (as always) Gleim Environmental for their time and help. It's much appreciated.

Dave W

Attachments

• Run4.jpg
    Run4.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Run1.jpg
    Run1.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 4
  • Run2.jpg
    Run2.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Run3.jpg
    Run3.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 4
Nice work Dave! Kudos to the CVTU. An extemely nice job done with the stream improvement project.

A nice article in the Patriot News today on this project.

Link

The ongoing project by CVTU to improve habitat in The Run continues. The post above shows the initial work on the parking lot and the first log wing deflector that were completed last summer.

Time for an update: This summer two additional vane deflectors were installed just downstream with the help of the students from the Rivers Conservation and Youth Camp. In the past, many of you have supported CVTU or the youth camp with donations or flies. Thank you. If you have not fished The Run in Boiling Springs lately, drop by. It's holding fish in large numbers this summer (this has not been consistent in recent years) and fishing well, even in the hottest weather. The improvement projects have worked well and fish can be seen holding both above and below them. Just a couple nights ago, I managed an 18" brown on my third or fourth cast in The Run.
It's been a good year for The Run as well as the Breeches itself. I think the improvements have turned out well. Drop by and check 'em out.

Attachments

• Run1.jpg
    Run1.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Run2.jpg
    Run2.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 4
Back