woolybuggers (soft hackle)

flipnfly

flipnfly

ok below is a pic of a bugger i tied just a few minutes ago and i used a softer hackle that came with my saddles do you guys think theres too much hackle? and when tying buggers with eyes like i have do you guys usually hackle past the eyes?

Attachments

• bugger.jpg
    bugger.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 13
Looks fine to me...except that the eyes might be a little too large. As to the hackle, I always stop behind the eyes and throw a figure-8 of chenille around the eyes.

That fly there will catch fish with or without hackle. I useualy use longer hackle than you have. I had a killer fly before the wooly bugger came out., it was black, it was a dubbed fur body over lead wire with a marabu tail.

i do know the eyes are a bit big i like heavier anchor flies they help me get downs faster in swifter waters

flipnfly,
What do you do with that gadgit in the background with a magnifying glass? My son gave me one.

lol absolutly nothing lol i imagine its for delicate soldering work my mom thought i would use it for tying flies .....

That's what I was thinking I'd use it for. never used it yet.

I think the hackle is a little thick and by saddle I assume you mean dry fly saddle hackle.

That hackle looks stiff and that fly might float, even with those eyes. Those eyes are huge too.
Personally I would use smaller eyes and add lead to the body to add weight.

its great foe soldering small stuff, and working on jewelry. not that great for tying. I need to get a new one last one broke and havn't replaced yet.

mkern with my dry fly saddles came these long black/green in the light feathers that fly is a bad example but the others you can definatly tell its softer than normal hackle sandfly get me an address and youn can have it i have never used it ever....

ok here is a better bugger i had tied up with the same feather i know its kinda thick but thats just how i like it

EDIT: just for the record i am going to state that i prefer the spirit river dumbell eues a whole lot better than the big plain lead ones in the pic above...

Attachments

• wooly soft.jpg
    wooly soft.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 3
I like that one.

Back