WOOLLY WORM...hackle suggestions pls

BruceC2C

BruceC2C

Any GravelBar, will do just fine. 365. Fresh&Salt

New tier at dead end\ inconclusive research for best WW hackle.

Rooster v Hen ?.....Cape v Saddle ?....Schlappen ?

Plan to tie on #8 hooks...Fishing riffles and current.
Will likely start w Chenille body, not dubbed.

Your wisdom and experience will be appreciated.

I use various colors of Chenille. I usually have some weight on the hook. And I use Rooster hackle that, once tied onto the Chenille will be just a tad longer than the hook gap.

FWIW

one of the best flies there is!!

i use both hen and rooster hackle. whichever fits the hook size and color combination better.

you could fish a chenille bodied woolly worm for the rest of your life and do just fine.

i tye them fom 6-16 in chenille,and dubbed.

brown with brown hackle,olive with grizzly or olive,gray with dun,etc.

amongst the best classic woolly worms is yellow with grizzly hackle and a red tail.
chenille is super cheap at a sewing store.don't be afraid to use regular old yarn. even floss or peacock herl,or pheasant tail in smaller sizes.
good luck!

shakey wrote:
chenille is super cheap at a sewing store....

Any specifics on this? The only chenilles I've ever found in non-fly shops is either the wire stuff or too big for all but the absolute largest flies.

Most shops will list something along the lines of wooly bugger saddle hackle. They are from a rooster, but not the type that would produce stiff barbs like dry fly hackle.

i use rooster hackle for woolly worms and woolly buggers

capes or saddles are fine

strung hackle works good

usually a lower grade

i use danvilles fine size chenille. craft store chenille is way too big and ive never seen it in the sizes danville makes

Wooly-Collage-12.jpg

I've had good luck using Whiting Bugger Packs. Typically they include several small capes to tie both small and larger bugger type flies (palmer hackled) and feature long feathers with relatively short barbules.

Whiting Bugger Pack

PennKev wrote:
shakey wrote:

Any specifics on this? The only chenilles I've ever found in non-fly shops is either the wire stuff or too big for all but the absolute largest flies.

any well supplied store that carries a full line of yarn will have chenille.

the smallest commonly found diameter will come in a skein of two colors with a thread or two,twisted. so,olive with light olive,or black with gray twist,etc.

this is MUCH smaller than you would find in a craft shop.but not as small as vernille.

a skein costs about $7 .or ,$600 worth at a fly shop.

the chenille in a two strand skein is small enough to go down to a twelve,or a 14 with a decent gap.

PennKev wrote:
shakey wrote:

if you will be at seven mountains,i can bring you a few yards.

Wooly worm was the first fly I tied way back when (1967)

For me its strung saddles for Buggers and rooster capes for Wooley Worms. I knew a guy who only used the best hackles from his capes for his dries and would give the rest to tie buggers with. As far as chenille goes, The size of the chenille depends on the size of the fly. The best thing I ever did for buggers was discover variegated chenille. I have had so much more success with two toned bugger than before I used it. My favorites are red/black, yellow/black, orange/black, olive/black. I make more of the first two more than nay others.

Attachments

• chenille.jpg
    chenille.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 3
This is free from my box: Black tying thread: Tail :eek:live marabou or saddle hackle Body: gold tinsel : wrap 1 olive saddle hackle over the tinsel body,I know it looks stupid and sparse, Head black tying thread.
This fly has caught big browns in Ny tribs. Thank me later.
gg

The chenille sale at hook and hackle right now is pretty good!

Back