Wood duck feathers

dc410

dc410

A buddy that I work with made the mistake of telling me that he is killing a fair amount of male woodies!!! šŸ˜ I immediately tapped right into that!

IMG 0888

I was driving along a road by a lake. A dead woodie was in the road. I took the bird home, removed the flank feathers. The carcass was gone the next morning.

I need to get into sourcing my own duck and pheasant. As my grandfather tells me, there just arenā€™t as many as there used to be.
Well, there are MORE wood ducks than there used to be....if that's what you meant.

Which part of the state or which state is he smashing wood ducks in? Not many of them linger around my part of PA this time of year.

I didn't kill a single wood duck this year.... rupturing my Achilles didn't help that. I still have a lot of woodie flank, though. That is a DYNAMITE tying material.

Iā€™ve never actually gone duck hunting. Iā€™m thinking about giving it a try next year. Iā€™m also about out of turkey tail and wing, hopefully I get one this spring.

nice. i hunt duck, canadas, and upland. its nice to go hunting for your tying material. plus you get a good meal out of it. except goose. i make goose into jerky.

What are you tying with those barred feathers?

Iā€™ve never actually gone duck hunting. Iā€™m thinking about giving it a try next year. Iā€™m also about out of turkey tail and wing, hopefully I get one this spring.
Be careful. Waterfowl hunting is a slippery and expensive slope.

Which part of the state or which state is he smashing wood ducks in? Not many of them linger around my part of PA this time of year.
He is actually down on the eastern shore of MD.

stop by my shop have tons of turkey

My boys and their grandfather really like the lemon color for Cahill wings. Mallard just isn't the same, even if it's dyed.

Mallard is OK. The issue with the bags of Mallard is that very few feathers have the nice rounded tips found with Wood Duck. The Mallard can usually only be used for tails or wincases.

Mallard is OK. The issue with the bags of Mallard is that very few feathers have the nice rounded tips found with Wood Duck. The Mallard can usually only be used for tails or wincases.
One of my boys: "Pap, can I have some of your lemon wood duck flank feathers?"
Grandpap: "Sure."
One of my boys: "Can I just take the bag?"
Grandpap: "Only if you want to lose a couple fingers."

Back