Won't be long...

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
salvelinusfontinalis

salvelinusfontinalis

Pre-spawn smallies, carp, ......then
Summer smallies and Terrestrials on spring creeks...

Thank goodness

+1 Can't wait for some warmwater fishing and the shad run to start.

Amen. Bring on the Susky and some esox!!!

Caught my first smallie and missed a carp yesterday, waters cold but by thurs or fri they should be better. I was using a brown Clouser crawfish on a #6 streamer hook. Fish it deep and ssllloooowwwww. Kayak fishing is the best way to explore rivers and larger streams, im glad I sold the hole in the water and bought the Hobbie.

A friend caught 5 smallies from shore yesterday on the lower susquehanna.

A friend of mine turned me on to Hobies and fishing for smallies in the winter, its very slow fishing minutes go by without me moving the fly and a take feels like a snag until you feel the slow head shake. it sure helps get through the winter and I prefer it to wading in cold water.

I stopped by today on Conodoguinet Creek and was surprised to see a water temp of 56 degrees (I took the temp twice and was careful to keep my thermometer in the shade - same reading both times).

This is very warm for early March. If you're ready for some springtime bassin, it should be game on across the state.

Fished the fly section on Muddy Creek today at Bruce, the first two fish I caught were little Smallmouths.

Did a short float on a MD river today. One bass hooked but not landed. Dont know water temp, but potomac is 55 so was probably close to that. Saw a massive school of large fish cruising upstream in 2-3' of water along the change from Rocky to Sandy bottom, unfortunately after we had drifted downstream out of casting range. Guessing catfish or suckers - anyone have any theories on which of the two they could have been? There were at least two dozen fish, between 18-30"...just steadily moving upstream

Sarce, If the river you were fishing has American Shad they could have been shad. The size description roughly fits. Shad are fast swimmers thought so i don't know if steady would be accurate. When they are not actively moving upstream they usually kind of swim in circles.

sarce wrote:
Saw a massive school of large fish cruising upstream in 2-3' of water along the change from Rocky to Sandy bottom, unfortunately after we had drifted downstream out of casting range. Guessing catfish or suckers - anyone have any theories on which of the two they could have been? There were at least two dozen fish, between 18-30"...just steadily moving upstream

Interesting.
Although there are lots of catties in the Potomac and they are often in groups, I doubt that's what you saw. Suckers are starting to move around and into tribs to spawn. Could be suckers.

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd suggest they were quillbacks. The size of the fish, and the size of the group (and water depth) is consistent with a school of quills. Large schools of quills are a common site throughout the year on WW rivers around here.

Back