wonderwax

nymphingmaniac

nymphingmaniac

I seem to recall posts bemoaning the loss of overtons wonder wax. I still have mine from 25 years ago. Anyway, I just opened my J stockard catalog and apparently they resurrected the product "manufactured from the original ingredients"

I agree with others that this is the best tying wax out there

I still have the container of Wonderwax that I purchased in 1980 when I started tying flies. I still use it regularly when dubbing. At 37 years old the stuff just keeps on working.

I still have my overtons that I bought when I took my tying class in 1984.
It is just about kicked now though, and I kinda wondered what brand I would replace it with.
Glad to hear they're making it again

Is it worth buying for a guy that doesn't use wax and possibly looking to incorporating it ?

Fredrick wrote:
Is it worth buying for a guy that doesn't use wax and possibly looking to incorporating it ?

Sometimes wax is needed for dubbing slick or slippery materials or when using the touch dubbing method.

Aye I've never used wax but can see how it would come in handy. How does picking it out fair if you don't want a tightly dubbed body?

Stop by an archery shop and get Bohning TexTite bow string wax. Comes in a tube just like overtons. I would argue it's the same stuff in different application.

I always considered it the best. When I ran out of it a few years ago I bought a wax seal plumbing ring at Lowe's for cheap. What I use when I consider wax necessary. Recently saw Overton's for sale in a catalog. Price, $16.95. $16.95 for a tube of wax????????????????

There were guys paying $50+ for it on eBay before it was reintroduced. I've always used toilet ring wax, but bought a tube of WW to see what the hype was about. Haven't used it yet though

apparently,the reissue is not quite the same but pretty darned close.
i have the original,but also use other waxes.

toilet ring mixed with beeswax and rosin is good.

shakey wrote:

You should do a tutorial on this Shakey

Try the rind from a wheel of Aldi's Smoked Gouda,Edam, or regular Gouda. It's food grade beeswax and can be tweaked with olive oil to a consistency conducive to your needs. Use a Club Cracker as a bobber, er, strike indicator on all patterns tied. If stocked rainbows are present, you will clean up.

Fredrick wrote:
shakey wrote:

You should do a tutorial on this Shakey

All I do is melt around 2oz each of beeswax and toilet ring wax and about 1 oz rosin in a cheap pot and mix it up with a chopstick. Then I pour it into a cardboard cup.

Anyone ever use lip balm in a pinch ?

I couldn't see making hare's ears without wax for the dubbing. It just doesn't have the same look when you have to twist the dubbing onto the thread instead of dabbing it to the thread.

tack-l....LOL on your avatar!! 1st time I seen it!
On topic...I use wax but don't know what kind it is.
I've heard of Shakey's recipe before...maybe in one of Harvey's books.

Back