Winter Water in S. York

raftman

raftman

Our first true winter day came about a couple of weekends ago. Blustery, cold, and raw. I decided to explore some new water in southern York County, Pennsylvania. Heading downstream, making my way through a landscape of naked trees and scrubby oaks, I met an injured doe and spooked a nice buck. Luckily, rifle season had just ended so I didn't run into any hunters, though out of habit my eyes kept scanning the second horizon of the canopy in search of tree stands in use.

IMG_0423-02_zpsbeq4kw5l.jpeg

With the temperatures dropping, the fish were sliding into their slow, spooky winter state of mind.

IMG_0427-01_zpsoyy8xzkn.jpeg

This stretch of water runs through some farm fields and wooded pastures. The water was on the lower side, so fishing upstream and far back proved to be most productive. A stealth approach, something I'm in dire need of improving, was needed.

IMG_0416-01_zpsh32vuykl.jpeg

The wild browns were keyed in on flashy stuff: greenie weenies, frenchies, & pink san juan worms drifted low and deep. They hung up at the bottom of pools and tucked in the undercut of the bank and didn't move very far out of their lies for food.

IMG_0418-01_zpsprfizm4e.jpeg

Even though I only brought a few to hand, it was great to explore new water, to test my knowledge and skill, and to push myself to get caught in brambles and accidentally step into some sweet holes in order to find new fish and new stories. I'll be heading back to this stretch in the spring, when the water is higher and the top-water action on point.

looks like a great day! Congrats!

I wish I could get out in the winter. I'm envious of your trip and catch.

The bottom photo is exactly where the sampling site started and continued for 360 m upstream. 80 kg per hectare.

Nice job. We finally got a little snow up here I am hoping to get out soon before its gone.

Raftman,

Nice catches! Which body of water is this in york? I am looking to get some winter trout fishing in as well before it gets too cold

PATroutMan wrote:
Raftman,

Nice catches! Which body of water is this in york? I am looking to get some winter trout fishing in as well before it gets too cold

Please understand that not every poster cares to identify the waters they fish. While it is okay to ask, a non-reply from the OP should not be considered rude.

Nice pics n account

I only ever fished this stream once(I believe). Been wanting to try it again after first time disappointment(3fish). First impression I guess keeps me from going back. However where I fished it was heavily wooded and tight to fish or even walk. To many other streams I consistently catch wild fish on around in York.

Never judge a wild brown trout stream by your first outing :)

Never judge a wild brown trout stream by your first outing

Indeed! I could see this stream being an absolute blast on dries/hoppers in late spring when the water flows are a bit higher and bugs are in the air.

Its not really the not catching lots of fish-just where I fished it was really tight and brushy where I was. It was first outing on a small stream after around 5 times on big water tho. The trees may have made me more upset after not having to worry about catching them the 5 times before. I don't think I brought enough beer :pint: for that day :-x

all tho..... It may not be the same stream I was thinking now that I look at numbers. Mike said "The bottom photo is exactly where the sampling site started and continued for 360 m upstream. 80 kg per hectare." so I was just assuming which stream. The stream I was assuming only surveyed 48kg/ha after looking up numbers...that being said the only other streams it could be in York - I fished all those quite a lot.

With some of the log jams and deeper associated pools on this creek, it would also be a worm-dunker's paradise, to steal a phrase from a child-hood fishing mentor.

Back