Winter in Philadelphia

hooker-of-men

hooker-of-men

How slow is Pennypack this time of year? I know it gets a fall stocking, but is it dead by now? I'm trying to decide if it would be worth spending a morning there or if I should just go down to Ridley.

I personally would hit Pennypack to see if I could catch some of the stockers. To me, it's easy to fish and the bigger fish seem to always be there, if you can fool them with a fly. I've had luck on large hare's ears (#10) and zebra midges with a trailing yellow egg fly to grab their attention. I've actually never heard of Ridley, so which ever you had more luck during the late season, go there. Good luck where ever you go!

Pennypack anglers are doing well and with the weather we have been having, it has continued. "Time of year" has nothing to do with it; it is all about water temps.

Mike wrote:
Pennypack anglers are doing well and with the weather we have been having, it has continued. "Time of year" has nothing to do with it; it is all about water temps.

I appreciate the feedback, but time of year definitely seems to matter if it got stocked 2 months ago and fished really hard since. That hasn't been my experience in my time fishing there, but I haven't been in probably 2 years. Hence me posting to find out specifically how it is fishing right now...

I often end up with a few hours to kill on saturday mornings near pennypack.

I usually fish in lorimer park, maybe a 1/2 mile up the rail trail - and sometimes downstream of verree road.

I really like some of the water down by verree, but have not seen any trout there this fall.

Could just be that water is cold in the hours I am there (10-11:30am) or that I am fishing spots that are not stocked (i hate that - fish should be in fishy spots, not in trucky spots)

anyone know where the fall stockings were done?

If you can get up to the headwaters there are holdover fish up there. there are a few springs. worked with a guy from down there that would catch fish all summer in the upper sections, this was 20 years ago though

Back