Winter fishing York county

W

Wayne92

I have been trout fishing York county since I was a kid but my dad and I only ever fished for stocked in east and south branch codorus and muddy creek and we always stopped at the end of summer when the stockies disappeared. I want to get into trout fishing year round but know nothing of where to fish. I am not looking to steal anyone's wild brook streams or anything just looking for some advice as to where I could catch fish year round. You could pm me or reply here. Thank you

Wayne,
A good place to start your quest is with the "Where to Fly Fish" link at the upper right side of this page. Waters with special regulations are usually a good bet for year round fishing.
Also, search through the Reports forum for York County or the names of streams you're familiar with (Codorus, Muddy etc) and check the dates folks are fishing them. The picture will start to come together and you'll be ready to start exploring.

I'd add a caveat about winter trout fishing: don't get discouraged if you see or catch few trout. Winter trout fishing is tough. Many anglers who are accustomed to the easy pickings on stocked streams in the spring or early summer, get discouraged this time of year. A winter fisherman is mainly targeting wild trout and the few stockies that have held over. These trout are harder to catch. They're also harder to see as winter fish tend to lay low in deeper runs and under cover. If you explore a stream and see no trout, don't write it off. Winter fishing is a different game.

Who is stocking that? I May fish that this weekend

Wayne92 wrote:
Who is stocking that? I May fish that this weekend

Here is a link to the PA F&B site. Select "York" as the county and click on "GO" for the stocking schedule.

I been trying to get out with you. Ill be out all weekend if you wanna meet up yet...but sorry no FFO on muddy for me I hate that place. Stockies and truck chasers will be there in full force this weekend :roll:

I will be out this weekend and would like to meet up with you. I will go anywhere that you want to. I just want to get out

I have been trout fishing York county since I was a kid but my dad and I only ever fished for stocked in east and south branch codorus and muddy creek and we always stopped at the end of summer when the stockies disappeared. I want to get into trout fishing year round

Any trout stream is tough to fish at the end of summer. A lot of people put down the trout rod and pick up the bass gear or head for limestone waters. The streams you mentioned do hold some wild trout and definately hold over stockies. You should just start by fishing the streams you know in the fall and winter/early spring to see how well they fish and then move on to nearby streams. Many Atws in York also have wild populations of trout. It never hurts to go down the list and try some out.

HopBack you still fish York/Lancaster a decent amount like your past posts? I tore York up over the last few years got into Lancaster a little bit(maybe 10 streams). If your looking to get out sometime to let me know. I been on the blue halo kick lately-too bad only few streams in York with them.

Shaner,

I still like fishing York county streams but haven't had the opportunity to get out much lately. When I do get out I usually spend a day in the cv exploring limestone streams. Spring and summer I will be back at it again.

Back