Winter Fishing Gloves?

steveo27

steveo27

I typically wear a pair of lighter hunting gloves when I fish in the winter, but I want to update/replace them as Im not a huge fan of them for fishing.

I like the idea of fingerless wool gloves, but the same time I like the idea of being able to cover my fingers when not fishing. Enter glomitts - fingerless gloves with folding mitten like finger covers.

However, all the wool ones Ive seen the thumb is covered. Ive yet to come across a pair of wool glomitts that have exposed thumbs. I like the idea of my thumb not being covered, that way I dont have to take the gloves off to do things.

Has anyone found a pair of these?

Alternative, what kinda of gloves do you guys use for winter fishing?

I've been eyeing up a new pair of gloves. Looked at the foldovers, etc... Ended up getting the Simms Exstream Flex gloves. Used them this weekend. Glad I got them.

I bought a pair of Simms Freestone fleece fingerless gloves several years ago. I have used them a few times and they seem to work. I don't care for the mitten version myself. Just to bulky. If my hands get cold I just put them inside the lined pockets of my softshell jacket.

Just got a pair of Kast Steelhead gloves, I know, not exactly what your looking for but I highly recommend them. I do also have a pair of wind river gloves where your thumb can be exposed or covered. It is held back by a magnet when your thumb is exposed. The kast gloves are great, the only thing I cant do is tie tippet or flies with them on. I have no problem casting, managing line, etc with them on. The waterproof gloves are great on cold and/or rainy days a real game changer for winter time.

I like the Simms Fingerless (including thumb) Wool gloves. Stays warm even when getting wet, and they don't get in the way too much of rod feel.

If you rub A and D ointment into your fingers before fishing it will keep them warmer. Seriously. However, you have to mind your flies because I believe the ointment can be detected on them and turn away fish.

I have fingerless wool gloves. But i have felt line pockets in my waders and jacket so my hands getting cold isnt a problem.

Hard to cast with your hands in your pockets no? I have the same in my waders and rarely use them.

I only keep my hands in my pockets when walking from spot to spot. If my hand gets cold i stick it in my pocket for a mere 10-20 seconds and im good to go.

I have army surplus all wool fingerless gloves/liners. I then have ski mittens or gloves in case my hands get cold. The cold effects me immediately upon going from warm to cold, but after a short period, my heart and arteries learn to pump to the extremities and I can go pretty low with just the fingerless gloves. If I get them wet, I will wring them out put them back on and put my hands in the gloves, or pockets for a short while.

If this strategy doesn't keep my fingertips flexible, I pretty much should not be fishing.

I have a pair of Simms fleece foldover mitts that I bought a few years back. They work great for fishing. I like them so much that I've started wearing them for driving on cold mornings. I should add that my "commute" is about 4 minutes so the car doesn't even get warm.

I used to own a pair of gloves like you described, fingerless with a flip over mitten for the fingers, however, the thumb had a little hole near the joint of your finger that you could pop you thumb through. Pretty handy. I haven't seen any since, but I am sure you could find them.

Edit: I did some searching and it seems that company that made them ditched the thumb hole idea. The newer versions of the same glove are only available without it.

Ive now been looking for a few days locally for fingerless wool gloves. They are all but impossible to find

Army surplus store or try an online surplus store.

http://www.constructiongear.com/fingerless-gloves-wool.html

Incidentally, this place has good winter clothing. I have owned these base-layer longjohns for years and they are incrdibly good at wicking away sweat to your next layer, which should be wool or some other non-absorbent layer:

https://shop.vtarmynavy.com/black-ecwcs-poly-underwear-p159.aspx

Thanks for the links Jack.

I actually found a pair of them at Locust Grove this afternoon when I was shopping for new work boots.

I may pull the trigger on the long johns though - I need a new pair.

Thanks

Do get a set of those thermals.
black%20ecws%20arctic%20wieght%20polypro%20underwear.jpg

What they do is refuse to compact even under tighter outwear. They cannot absorb moisture, but are extremely porous. As your body sweats, the movement of moisture is outward toward drier air. While you will experience the sensation of sweat running down your leg now and then, your skin will maintain a healthy balance of temperature, and the moisture against your skin, if any, will be body temperature, naturally.

These have gone up in price since I got mine, 8 years or so ago. But, I bought two pairs, so I can alternate on multiple day outings in the winter. They are easy to wash on cold and delicate cycle. 5 mins in dryer and hang.

Back