Winter FFing

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
A really good article covering what flies may be most effective as well as techniques for winter FFing >

https://thecreekcreature.com/what-are-the-key-insects-for-winter-fly-fishing/?fbclid=IwAR3YMvghA_SCRqhdSrSejkXsAFEAE7XUokXOneDOXcAU66y_QwI4WR3TSJM

The article talks a lot about downsizing the presentation and matching what trout are feeding on in the winter. This can be effective on true spring creeks but doesnt really apply to many of out freestone streams.

I never liked "Midging", just not my thing. In the winter I almost exclusivly fish big streamers and buggers depending on the size of the water and the expected size of the fish in the watershed. I might not be able to persuade every fish in every little riffle or pocket but I can cover a lot of ground and usually have enough hook ups to keep things interesting. Constantly moving wil also keep you a lot warmer vs just standing there for hours tight line nymphing and only coving a couple hundred yards of stream.

In addition I think trout will only feed in the winter if the meal presented is large enough to justify the engergy it takes to aquire the meal. Thats why I think most trout will strike at a streamer under the right water conditions even if you dont see it or feel it.

I have never winter fly fished for trout, but I do have Covid19 fatigue like everyone else so I will try my best.

I have done my best to improve at what I have learned with euro nymph fishing. I am just good enough to have caught two with the help of a TCO guide on Spring Creek, State College, PA.

And, one all by myself on the Tobyhanna Creek in the Poconos. Maybe I was better lucky than good, but as you all know, you aren't catching anything unless your line is in the water. NASCAR drivers always say that it is better to be lucky than good.

HopBack wrote:
The article talks a lot about downsizing the presentation and matching what trout are feeding on in the winter. This can be effective on true spring creeks but doesnt really apply to many of out freestone streams.

I never liked "Midging", just not my thing. In the winter I almost exclusivly fish big streamers and buggers depending on the size of the water and the expected size of the fish in the watershed. I might not be able to persuade every fish in every little riffle or pocket but I can cover a lot of ground and usually have enough hook ups to keep things interesting. Constantly moving wil also keep you a lot warmer vs just standing there for hours tight line nymphing and only coving a couple hundred yards of stream.

In addition I think trout will only feed in the winter if the meal presented is large enough to justify the engergy it takes to aquire the meal. Thats why I think most trout will strike at a streamer under the right water conditions even if you dont see it or feel it.

+1
+ Feed the river all my big stoneflies. Downsizing and watching an indicator is cold and exhaustingly boring...

Back